Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oops... Vanity replacement questions!

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

Oops... Vanity replacement questions!

This is probably not a new question, but it is a rookie one... I need to remove the vanity in my ensuite and put in a new one due to damage etc... Getting the old one out was easy enough but now i have a problem....

1. New vanity is 50mm too high with the base on meaning it is above the splashback tile line,

2. The depth of vanity is 80mm less that the space (concrete area)

3. Vanity top mean there is a 40mm gap on the left side where the wall is.

So i have a bunch of questions on what i should do here?

My thoughts were (which i am not really keen on)

1. Need to rip out the floor tiles and redo to the new vanity space

2. pull off the splashback tiles, resize and cut new ones (would be ok except for that powerpoint hole)

3. Paint the bathroom (i dont have the colour pallette for that wall)

4. caulk the gaps as best i can

Love some help here... here is space photo, will show with vanity sitting in later today.20211214_073213.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Oops... Vanity replacement questions!

Hi @Fonzi! Every question is a great question. 

Let me tag @tom_builds @Jimi @TedBear and @JoeAzza as they are very handy. Our resident D.I.Y. pro @EricL will be around soon and I am sure will have tons of additional advice to help with your more specific questions. 

In the meantime, check out our how-to article: How To Install a Bathroom Vanity - Bunnings Australia

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fonzi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about replacing your vanity.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo and the brand of vanity that you purchased? This will give our members a better idea of the type of vanity you are installing. We will then be able to offer you possible solutions on how to deal with the gaps. Here are some suggestions to make your installation easier.

• I suggest putting on a feature tile or a tile that is very close to the colour of your current floor tile. This will save you from having to tear out the floor tiles.
  • Modify the vanity footing and build a new kickboard in its place. This will allow you to have the vanity at the correct height and forego the removal of the vanity splashback.
  • Remove the tiles on the left side only and repair the plasterboard. This will be the only side you will need to find tiles for or you may leave it plain and just paint over it. 

Your goal is to simplify the installation, without having to modify any of the other current features in the bathroom. Another option is to install the vanity over the splashback tiles. This is on the condition that it will not hit the powerpoint on the right. As to the left side of the vanity. The options are either to tile the gap or leave it nice and simple and just paint it to the current wall colour. At this point in time installing the vanity to make it functional before Christmas is definitely possible. Removing the tiled floor and re-tiling it along with painting the bathroom walls will be cutting it really close. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Fonzi I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of the new unit, but early thoughts & questions are:

The 40mm gap on left side... Can the unit be put in the corner? That way the issues would be on the outside. Can the wall behind then be painted to the unit, or a 50mm  joining strip of timber be fitted down that edge?

Will the extra height be a nuisance? If not, the unit can go up against the existing tiles and the join be filled with sealant, as happens with fully tiled walls (as mine are). That way you will have less of a floor gap to deal with.  I agree with EricL's suggestion there, to make a border of contrasting coloured tiles. Perhaps use a smaller tile size too. You can get 100mm squares, which will help create a definite border look. Fit them first, including a few along the back and left side so that the vanity will sit flush all round. That would apply even if you decide to cut the baseboard down to lower the unit to go under the splashback. (I just noticed that you have some height adjusters ready, so you may not need to bother adding floor tiles to the rear and left side to level the unit.)

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

Hi all,

We are making good progress... I have attached where i am up to now.

Still to do:

1. remove floor time and relay at front right.

2. Grout and seal floor tiles to vanity

3. fill gap behind vanity

4. Issue - pipe on the down leg into the straight pipe is leaking (think i need to put sealant in there?)

Keep the advice coming!

20211216_155522 (1).jpg20211216_155512 (1).jpg20211216_134905 (1).jpg20211215_212833.jpg20211215_165013.jpg20211214_222906.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fonzi

Thank you so much for the excellent photo updates. It's looking very nice and I'm glad you did not have to do more work concerning the tiled splashback. In regards to your leak under the sink. I recommend removing the trap and double-checking all the O-rings and making sure that none of them have been twisted while being screwed in. The most important one is the center O-ring. The join has to be firm and flat to make sure that you don't get any leaks. But it does not mean that you should disregard the top and bottom seals. If installed correctly with no twists or bends they should all provide a positive water seal. Take your time and be deliberate with the fittings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects