Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

Cath_Home_Reno
Finding My Feet

Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

I have a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet cistern in my ensuite. It is about 20 years old and a bit tired looking. I was looking to replace it but have been told that this uniti not longer manufactured and the Caroma Uniset II is the closest. However I will have to drill new holes to mount the new unit. Has anyone had any experience doing this? I do not want to have this job turn into a major renovation.  Any experience will be most welcome. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset

Hi @Cath_Home_Reno,

Thanks for your message. I take it the flooring in your ensuite is tiled? You might like to share some photos so members can see what you are working with. 

Let me tag some very helpful members in @Brad, @Former Workshop member, @JDE and @redracer01 who might like to share their thoughts with you. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please feel free to post anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

Hello @Cath_Home_Reno 

I've linked a Bunnings DIY video on toggle bolt installation this should give you vital information on what kind of fixing you will need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=DM98HCBxjRo&feature=emb_logo

If you will be drilling and be lucky enough to hit the stud in the wall this is ideal as it will save you having to install a hollow wall anchor. How ever if there is no stud in the new area then the video should help. The only thing you will possibly need is a washer as some of the hollow wall anchor sets do not have washers that come with them. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you. I am better informed already. 

Re: Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset

Hi Jason, 

I don''t have to disturb the pan or the tiled flooring only replace the cistern and the seat and lid. 

There are tiles behind the old cistern. This old cistern is attached through these tiles to the wall by two screws. I am worried about having to drill two more more holes in the tiles to attach the new cistern. I am worried they might crack. 

Thanks for your helpful response. 

Cath

Hi @Cath_Home_Reno,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings workshop community. It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from knowledgable redracer01.

I just thought I'd follow up with your question about drilling through the tiles. There are a variety of drillbits these days to make putting holes in tiles super easy. Nice and slow with a bit of pressure on the drill is all that is required. You might like to have someone spritz the drill bit with water as you drill so you don't overheat it.

If you run into any issues at all please feel free to reach out as we can guide you through the process.

Here's helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. article on How to drill tiles which I trust you'll find helpful.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I have watched this video and the project looks manageable now.

I feel brave enough to give it a try. What could possibly go wrong?

Many thanks.

Cath

Hello @Cath_Home_Reno 

You can do it!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi,

this is video is not available anymore. Do you have a replacement ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=DM98HCBxjRo&feature=emb_logo

I've to do the same replacement except I do not have tiles the wall.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Salvo. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about attaching your cistern to the wall.

Are you attaching to a brick or cement wall? Here is a link that should help - How to install masonry fixings. It sounds like an interesting cistern repair job. If you have any questions about your current project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice or information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects