Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

IMG_4395.JPEG

I am a self-taught DIYer just giving it ago, and I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did :smile:

We are finally renovating our bathroom, and when designing this space, a floating timber vanity was on the wish list, but the price was not!

So I decided to take on the challenge to build one myself, so I headed to bunnings to pick up my supplies. 

Using the Tassie Oak panel 1200 x 600 x 19 mm, I mitred the edges and glued them together using corner clamps. 

For support: I added timber on the back (helped with mounting to the wall), brackets underneath the bench top and used timber screws to secure the bottom. 

Now time to tackle the drawer. I picked up some soft closing drawer runners to get the measurements right before starting this step. 

I measured twice, cut once, and using my table saw, I cut grooves 7mm thick to slide the drawer base in (7mm plywood). Using pocket holes, I assembled the drawer.

I cut the timber drawer front to size and added a bevel edge for the handle. 

I sanded everything, patched imperfections with homemade wood filler (sawdust and wood glue), and sealed with Monocel exterior clear varnish. 

What do you think?

IMG_4393.JPEGIMG_3957.JPEGIMG_4093.JPEGIMG_4236.JPEG

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

Hi @Banyoabode,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome to have you join and share your vanity project with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. Great projects like yours sometimes find their way into our Top Ideas section like this bathroom vanity makeovers article, which you mind find yourself in one day! Many members will find your vanity to be inspiring, did you find any part of the process challenging? You mentioned pre-made floating vanities can be quite pricey, how much would you say you saved making it yourself?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
marliemakesit
Making a Splash

Wow, this is stunning! I've been looking for a bathroom vanity project and have been considering upcycling an old dresser/buffet but maybe I should build one from scratch...

Hi @marliemakesit,

Glad to see you're enjoying @Banyoabode's bathroom vanity. Tagging them so they're alerted to your praise. 

I also wanted to drop a quick note to say that we'd be happy to assist if you need help with your own bathroom vanity project. Besides the bathroom vanity makeovers article that Katie's mentioned above, you can also get some inspiring ideas from our list of Top 10 most popular bathroom projects that may help. We've also got a great guide on How to plan a bathroom renovation by experienced Bunnings Workshop member Adam Woodhams which features related advice on how to create a plan and redesign your space.

If you have any specific questions, please don’t hesitate to head to the Bathroom and Laundry discussion board on Workshop, hit the Start a discussion button and tell us what you would like to achieve. 

Looking forward to seeing your project.

Akanksha

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Banyoabode 

Very clever idea to circumvent the plumbing. 👍

Thank you! Yeah give it ago I just found one I liked online and copied the measurements :smile: 

Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

Thank you. Mitre edges are challenging but luckily there is wood filler and some tricks to fix the imperfections 😅 The vanity online that was my inspiration I saved over $3000 building it myself excluding tools. A pretty good saving! I’m still deciding on what vanity to build for my ensuite which is coming soon! Hahaha 

Keep us updated, @Banyoabode! We'll be looking forward to seeing your next vanity.

Mitchell

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Does anybody know the link for these Tasmanian Oak panels? I've never seen them. I've seen other panels but not Tasmanian oak. I would love to get my hands one some

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @AnitaP,

I found a similar size of the Tasmanian Oak Select Grade Panel currently being sold at Bunnings. Set your store on the home page to see availability or you can have this product delivered. Let me know if you need any more assistance. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects