Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tool do I need to change the washers?

Shane
Having an Impact

What tool do I need to change the washers?

Our shower is dripping. Last time we had a plumber in to replace the washers. I think they were ceramic. But I reckon we should do it ourselves this time. How hard could it be? I just don't have the right tool to get this off. Multi grips and a shifting spanner don't work because the thread is deep into the gap - well below the tile line. And of course I don't want to damage the tiles...

IMG_5533.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What tool do I need to change the washers?

Hi @Shane,

The tool you're looking for is a tap spanner. There are a couple of different sizes, so I typically grab the Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set.

The job isn't particularly hard if everything goes to plan. If they are ceramic disc spindles, then you need to replace the whole spindle. If they have valve washers then you can just replace the washer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Job now done. Thanks again Mitchell. Only took six months to get back to it! 

Dennis at Bunnings Doncaster was very helpful when I brought the spindles in to match them. The spindles didn't need replacing, just the washers and rings. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so pleased to hear you resolved your leaking shower issue, @Shane! Many thanks for updating us.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects