Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Aldi drill press

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Aldi drill press

I saw this in today's Aldi catalogue.

710 watts.

Would this be a 'brushed' motor - therefore loud like a corded drill?

Too small for an induction motor?

And I can't figure out the vice?

Anyone have one?

20220517_131459.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Aldi drill press

They are questions that would be better directed at our competitor @Noyade.

As I assume you are interested in buying a drill press, let me tag @EricL to recommend a product from the Bunnings range. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Jason. 👍

No - I'm not interested in purchasing this drill press.

I remember discussing something like this which was available at Bunnings with Mitchell - but I'm sure it had an induction motor (quieter) with digitally controlled variable speed.

There was also a Bosch product - very similar looking, but no longer available at Bunnings?

By all means Jason - delete this thread if it is inappropriate.

Cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

All good @Noyade. We don't restrict what our members talk about here on Bunnings Workshop, but we obviously can't assist you if you have questions about products that Bunnings doesn't sell. Again, they are better directed at our competitors. 

Let us know what you would be looking for in a drill press and we'll be happy to recommend something from the Bunnings range. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

The Bosch Digital Drill Press is still available but will have to be specially ordered. The other digital drill press available at the store is the Full Boar 750W Digital Bench Mounted Drill Press. If you ever decide to get one please let me know. I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Eric  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Jason and Eric.

Yes! That's the drill press (Full Boar) Mitchell and I were trying to figure out how it was variable speed yet belt driven? Or is it geared?

So Eric, do you know if the Bosch is loud like a brushed electric drill? Would it just be like mounting a corded/brushed electric drill in those generic presses like many of us use to do years ago?

🤔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I'll have to look into it and get back to you. Being a Full Boar product I suspect it would be robust in construction as it is made for the trades. As soon as I get more information, I'll post it here.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

And the Bosch noise please, Eric. 🙂

Just being curious.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Noyade

I've sent off an inquiry to the Bosch Technical team and they said they would get back to me with the decibel rating of the motor. As for the Full Boar drill press the speed is controlled electronically inside the machine without having to change the belt. Since the Full Boar drill press uses an induction motor it has a very low decibel rating. As soon as I get the information on the Bosch noise level I'll let you know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for that Eric.

Very interesting!  👍

With the Wild Boar having only one belt and no gearing my brain says the torque at low speeds must be poor - but clearly that can't be the case.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects