Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use CCA non-structual pine for wall frame?

cave_it_up
Just Starting Out

Can you use CCA non-structual pine for wall frame?

I’m looking at lining a metal framed shed inside to make it a man cave. I plan to line the walls in plywood but want to build some timber frames to mount it too. Is it safe to use CCA treated pine framing for this? Or should I not use treated pine? For health reasons, the walls will not be load bearing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: CCA non structual pine

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cave_it_up. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on structural pine.

What sort of CCA treated framing timber were you thinking of using? Arsenic based treatments are typically reserved for H4 sleepers used in-ground. Outdoor framing timber is normally H3 treated with ACQ. ACQ treated framing timber would be fine for your proposed use.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

my nieghbour purchased a heap of Non structural pine 70 x 35 H3 and has a lot left over so I was going to use it to do the framing of the walls in the man cave. It says on the invoice its CCA Pine Merch.

@cave_it_up,

As general rules, CCA-treated timber should not be used to build children's play equipment, patios, domestic decking, handrails, new garden furniture, exterior seating or picnic tables. As you'll be using it to build a frame and covering it with plywood, there appears to be a minimal risk of it coming in contact with anyone. You don't want to use it for surfaces where people will be touching it all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kel
Making a Splash

Re: Can you use CCA non-structual pine for wall frame?

hi @cave_it_up 

i got a 3x6 m shed that i used non structual pine to frame up,i then installed insulation and used 3mm mdf to line it .worked a treat

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects