Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cheapest, easiest flooring for a new 3x3m shed

Pip
Getting Established

Cheapest, easiest flooring for a new 3x3m shed

Hi ya’all, I’ve just purchased a 3x3m garden shed and was wanting a concrete slab under it but as I’m only a poor pension I found the price a wee bit too much for me even if I did it all myself,then somebody suggested pavers or flagstones as the floor and another said make a pallet floor and anchor my shed in four corner concrete foundations? Well I’m easy and willing to give anything a go so long as it doesn’t break the bank,so PLEASE  for a capable Pensioner Lady that hasn’t got small bucks let alone big bucks to play with what type of flooring do you think would be cheapest for me?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cheapest, easiest flooring for a new 3x3m shed

"Well I’m easy and willing to give anything a go so long as it doesn’t break the bank,so PLEASE for a capable Pensioner Lady that hasn’t got small bucks let alone big bucks to play with what type of flooring do you think would be cheapest for me?"

G'day Pip.

This is something I tried early last year - and yes, I admit, it's a cheap and nasty alternative, but so far it's worked.

It's a covered area that once upon a time was my three son's sandpit. All grown up - I wanted to use the area to store some equipment.

I kept the sand - leveled it.

Put down second hand corrugated iron.

On that I placed those laminated sheets (name?) from Bunnings. Memory thinks they were $70 for a 2400 mm X 1200 mm sheet.

At first I thought it wouldn't work, but as I walked over it and loaded stuff on, it 'settled' into the sand and became very stable. The troughs in the corrugated iron, in the sand, seem to have excellent holding power.

An area is exposed to the elements and so far - so good. Can't see why it wouldn't work in a small shed?

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers

Graeme.

20210203_075824.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see all these helpful suggestions continue to roll in for you @Pip. Let us know how you go. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That's a great looking base @wooshka .

(I assume that you put plastic under the bricks too.)  

@TedBear , No plastic as we live in a high rainfall area and i wanted any rain getting inside to drain though the pavers , hence the raised limestone

It will be used for firewood storage

Pip
Getting Established

Hi,

Thanx for your reply about what I should do for my shed floor. I decided to use 3m pine sleepers as I already owned several. Made it so it has 3channels underneath for run off and screwed and anchored it all down. Admittedly I did have a hiccup here and there mainly due to my size of 5” and the weight of sleepers etc but eventually I got it up and quite proud of myself too. Thank you to everybody for their input an ideas, I’ve learnt a lot.

Respectfully,

Pip🌼

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pip,

It's great to hear that you sorted out your shed base. What a fantastic use of the available resources!

Well done, and we look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

@wooshka - Just curious as to how you secured your shed to your beautiful layed pavers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Yotaboy98

Let me tag @wooshka to make sure that they are made aware of your kind words and questions. It would be good to know how the shed was attached to the flooring.

Eric

Hi @Yotaboy98, I drilled into the Limestone blocks and used dynabolts to secure it to the wall panels , it has held up top some storms ok so far

So, @wooshka , are the limestone blocks from bunnings? Didn't think they're density would be adequate for dynabolts.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects