Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Compact mobile workbench

Usedbloom
Having an Impact

Compact mobile workbench

933E8698-A81A-4A5D-AD4B-DC7913B3BF21.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Long time observer, first time poster :smile:  I’ve always loved woodworking and creating stuff but have never had the dedicated space to do it. So I decided that this year I was going to tidy up the garage and make myself a workbench.

I only have a single car garage so it needed to be under 1m wide and around 50-60cm deep to ensure I could still get my car inside and store all the other junk of course! After doing a bit of research and taking inspiration from others on the Workshop forum I came up with a rough design and measurements and headed to Bunnings to buy timber and get it cut to size; well worth the money if you’ve only got a small car and limited tools like me. I also decided to get castor wheels to allow me to move it out either into the garage (when car is out) or the driveway for more space, which I’d highly recommend.

F428B61A-5095-4804-8110-F6511122068C.jpeg

6BE024EE-75A8-4220-8F02-697050468913.jpeg

2916AF66-70CD-4856-B48A-02CDE750001F.jpeg

EE3DA7C0-06C4-41B7-B9C1-3ADA3905911D.jpeg

C6FD6794-ED2E-451A-9D66-145786C73D1F.jpeg

For screws I went with some 50mm stainless steel decking screws that I had left over from a deck build a few years ago. I ended up going with a clear polyurethane for sealing, which I did 2 coats all over; the shelf and bench top could do with a third I think just for extra protection.  

Overall I’m happy with the result! It’s nothing fancy and definitely isn’t 100% perfect but given the last time I did any kind of woodworking was in high school, and I don’t have a lot of tools it think it’s a pretty good result :smile:  (excuse the mess, still have a bit of tidying and organising to go)

3862782F-A63C-45D4-B52C-BA7C37392066.jpeg

Now that I’ve got a workbench, I’m excited to get started on my next project which will be a power tool charging self and storage for drill bits, chargers etc. along with a pegboard for hand tools and bits and pieces. Thanks!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Compact mobile workbench

Well done @Usedbloom. What a great project for a compact space. Thanks for sharing.

We look forward to seeing all the projects you'll now be able to build on your new workbench. Have you seen this step-by-step guide: How to build a drill charging station?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @StevieB! Will definitely take a look at that post for inspiration :smile: 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh I love this !!!!! @Usedbloom 😀

mickviller
Getting Established

Well done to you for having a go, that overhang at the front with come in handy if you have to do any clamping. 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Looks sturdy and easy to position, love it. 

Remarka6le

Thanks! The overhang most definitely has been handy for clamping etc, I'm glad i went with it. Most designs I looked at had everything flush and square with the frame; looks nice but not all that practical.

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Hello!

This is something that I definitely need. Thanks for sharing and keeping it simple.

Can someone recommend or suggest what type oftimberd to purchase if the workbench needs to be weather proof?

Due to lack of indoor space, I'm wondering if it is possible to purchase timber for the frame and shelves that can weather the outdoors?  

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would be best to make your bench out of hardwood @Dezzi. You could order some F27 kiln-dried hardwood. You'll also need to coat it with something like an exterior varnish. You might also like to consider using treated Pine. Our members have previously mentioned using formply for the top and painting the exposed edges.

I'd still recommend you cover it when not in use to stop water constantly hitting and sitting on it. You could even use a Jumbuck Black 4 Burner Flat BBQ Cover, depending on the size of bench you're going to use.

Here's a simple step-by-step guide you should find useful: How to build a workbench. If you were to substitute the timber used for hardwood or treated Pine, then you'd end up with a fantastic outdoor workbench. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular workbench projects for more ideas and inspiration.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

You're very welcome @Dezzi, glad to have helped/inspired! I'd go with treated pine or hardwood, maybe even a decking timber that'll withstand the weather and can easily be varnished/sealed to keep it in tip top shape. You could also look at covering the bench with either a bbq or outdoor setting cover if you're dimensions were within the set sizes for these. Just adds another layer of protection and would stop rain, dirt and dust.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects