Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Workbench (Zero skills in woodwork)

Ela
Getting Established

DIY Workbench (Zero skills in woodwork)

Hi

I'm looking to start a business from home that requires workbenches and a darkroom. (Screen printing) because I'm only on a year lease I prefer not to damage the property or garage so I'm looking to build a workbench that I can move around and a darkroom build that I can take apart when not using it or need to move. I've drawn out what kind of workbench I want to go for but I'm unsure how to work out measurements, what tools I need or how to prep to build a diy work bench build. 

Any tips or advice for a beginner would be awesome.

Thank you

Workbenchjpg.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY Workbench (Zero skills in woodwork)

Good for you @Ela. All the best with your new business. I'm sure the ever-helpful Workshop community will be more than happy to help. We certainly have many keen woodworkers who can assist with the workbench. Can we trouble you to share your drawing of what you want to build? That way you are likely to get much more specific and useful help.

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing what you can create. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ela
Getting Established

Hi Jason 

Thank you for the reply. Apologise for the drawing not the best. I look forward to hearing some suggestions/tips & advice from the community. 

Thank you.

Ela

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Ela. Such a great project, I'd be happy to assist with it.

There is step-by-step instructions to build a fantastic D.I.Y mobile workbench here - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/garage/diy-portable-workbench. I have also added the video below.  

Our very creative members have also built some great workbenches which you may like to view:

There is also a range of Pinnacle workbenches available. They could make a great starting point for your benches. You could extend the tops, add additional storage or connect them together. These disassemble very easily so would be perfect if you need to move at any stage.

bench.png

If you need further information or cut lists for any of the projects, please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

Ela
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for the reply. I would buy a prebuilt but I'm super excited to try out woodwork and seeing what i can build. Thank you for the links, Yes that will be awesome if you have the time to let me know what list is and do you have an idea of tools ill need.

Thank you

Ela

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ela

If you are interested in following the step-by-step instructional video, there is a tab which shows all tools and material required. D.I.Y Portable workbench 

I'll copy them here for ease of access.

Tools

• Circular saw
  • Cordless drill
  • Drill bits
  • Jigsaw
  • Measuring tape
  • Sawhorses
  • Set square
  • Pencil

Materials

• 2400mm x 1200mm x 17mm structural plywood
  • 2400 x 1200 x 25mm plywood
  • 70mm x 45mm x 3.6m treated pine x 2
  • 70mm x 45mm x 2.4m treated pine x 6
  • Caster wheels x 4
  • 8g 31mm screws
  • Heavy duty liquid nails
  • 76mm screws x 4

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Mitchell

@Ela, given that you're most likely starting from scratch I would recommend swapping out the circular saw for a plunge cut rail saw. Ozito makes one which is pretty good value. The reason for this suggestion is simply that the rail will make it much easier to cut down large sheets without a table saw. You'll get straighter cuts. You'll only need something to raise the sheet higher than the blade depth. Many people seem to use insulation sheets. I use bench cookies.

Also, you're going to need clamps. I recommend having a good selection of 600mm clamps. For most projects, these will be overkill but it's when you really get stuck in that you are glad for the extra reach.

Ela
Getting Established

Thank you for the reply.

I ended up seeing where my mind took me lol because this was a first build i decided to use the bed slats as apart of the table. I just need to finish off the top of the table etc.

Thanks for the info:)

Ela
Getting Established

Hi wooden

Thank you for the tips :smile:

I appreciate the help.

I've manage to build the first workbench. It was a fun experience just need to finish off the top of the table :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good stuff @Ela, it would be great to see what you've built. If you could share some photos of the workbench, I'm sure our members would be keen to see it. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects