Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY refresh old metal cabinets

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

DIY refresh old metal cabinets

Good afternoon Workshop Community Friends. I didn’t want to get rid of the two metal cabinets we have been using in our Shed. But I certainly didn’t want to put them back in as they were……. Worn, rusted and looking crappy. They are still in good condition to use, just needed a freshen up. I’m more than happy to reuse these bad boys. Better now 😃 I’m always inspired by other fantastic recycled projects on the Workshop, I hope you will be inspired too !!!! 

Steps

Step 1

IMG_3545.jpeg

 So here we go. I used the high pressure spray to remove the heavy dust buildup, flaked debris ect .

IMG_3473.jpeg

Scrubbed them with a steel brush and Simple Green Concentrate. 

IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

Step 2

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

Then wiped them down with Turps. Let them dry completely. It’s really hot here in Perth so I put the Gazebo to work under the shade. Also I did this early in the morning before it got way too hot. 

Step 3

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

 I was advised to use the Dulux Metal Shield Rust Primer. Gave them a full coverage coat and the rusted areas a second coat. Love watching the red rust turn to black. 

IMG_3488.jpeg

Step 4

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

 I was advised to use the Dulux Metal Shield Rust Defence paint. I know you may ask why not spray paint ? I’ve never done it before and I like roller and brush !! 

Step 5

I applied two coats of paint. IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3517.jpeg

IMG_3515.jpeg

Step 6

Heaps better, they look brand new !! IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg

I used a couple of dollies to move the cabinets around, made it a lot easier for me 😃

IMG_3460.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DIY Refresh old Metal Cabinets

They  Scrubbed  up real  nice @mich1972  good  job.

Re: DIY Refresh old Metal Cabinets

Thanks heaps @Jewelleryrescue get excited that the shed is coming together !!! 😆 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DIY refresh old metal cabinets

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3645.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3657.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

 I gave these bad boys a refresh as well !! Clean them up, scrub with wire brush and spray paint with a black metal spray paint. They are still worth using, prefer to recycle them, nothing fancy pants , but will be good for the Shed 😃

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Terrific work, @mich1972.

A solid reminder of the power of paint and proof that with a little sprucing up, things don't necessarily need to be replaced.

Can't wait to see what you tackle next! 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Akanksha  Absolutely ! Still good to use, just needed some care 🤣

Picked up these ex Government Security Cabinets off Marketplace and gave them a refresh. Finally sorted out the storage for the Shed, now the benches and tool boxes to go. 

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work @mich1972. They look like sturdy units with plenty of storage. 

Do you know what would look great next to them?... Garage storage makeover. I can only dream.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

And these old storage containers I used to use in the Shed just needed a coat of spray paint too 🤣🤣🤣 

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3761.jpeg

Oh and picked up this heavy duty cabinet that was from a Mine Site on Marketplace too. Hubby happy now. 

IMG_3760.jpeg

Thanks Mitch, the Shed is FINALLY coming together the way we want it 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects