Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bamboo benchtop sectional cutting service

Hello @becka1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

I'm sorry but the shop saws can't cut Bamboo benchtops. Not only are the blades rough, but the saws are not built for precision cutting. Instead, I suggest thinking about cutting the benchtop yourself with a circular saw. You should find these guides useful: The D.I.Y. guide to circular saws and How to choose a circular saw.

However, if you feel that that this is too difficult, I suggest posting the job on Hipages or Airtasker. Make sure to include all the requirements for the job so that you'll get an early response.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jake44
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Hi, can I bring my timber (not purchased in the Bunnings) to the Bunnings store to be cut to size.

I only have four small stool legs to be shortened .

Thank you,

Jake44

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut timber to size?

Hello @Jake44 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

I'm sorry but the store is not allowed to cut timber of any size if it is not purchased from the store. The shop saws are also not built to do precision cutting. 

However, you can cut the legs using a Craftright 500mm Hand Saw. I suggest marking the legs and clamping it to a workbench to make sure that it does not move while you are cutting it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Tedsherrin
Just Starting Out

panel saw cutting size

Panel saw minimum cutting size of 600mm??.

can someone please explain this new rule. If I have a 1200 x 2400 sheet of ply wood. The staff are not permitted to cut 500mm of its length! I’m told it’s for their safety. But, they are permitted to cut 700mm, which leaves 500mm. 

how on earth is this new rule about safety? It’s nonsense. I can understand a minimal rule for the docking saw. But what is the point with the panel saw??? Staff confirmed they will cut 1000 off a panel of 1200, but not permitted to cut 200mm off a 1200???

and what’s with the now refusing to cut Marine Ply? Claims the glue destroys the blade! What nonsense. I’ve been using saw blades on marine ply for the best part of 20 years and never had an issue with it yet

Re: panel saw cutting size

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tedsherrin.

I'm so sorry to hear you had difficulty having timber panels cut in-store. I'll contact the team at the store in question to be able to confirm the reason for not being able to perform those cuts. I'll reach out to you via private message to obtain more details so I can look into it for you.

Mitchell

I was wondering if all Bunnings buildings have the same wood area layout and space problems?

I was after 6m lengths of H3 70X35 on a regular basis for a while there - but they sometimes use this area for storage.

I couldn't access the wood - it was too long to negotiate around the trolleys and pallets.

Yes, I did ask....😁

Bunnings.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hi @Noyade,

I'll reach out via private message to gather some details, as we always aim to have our floor shoppable.

Mitchell

Many thanks for your patience @Tedsherrin.

I've spoken with the team in-store, and it appears there was a bit of confusion over the restrictions on our panel saw. When you are free, please get in touch with either Deaclan or Mario in the Timber Yard, and they'll arrange to have those cuts done for you.

I do apologise for the confusion.

Mitchell

shylaway
Just Starting Out

Can Bunnings cut accoustic panelling to size?

Want to buy Accoustic panelling for child's bedroom but need boards cut down to size to fit and will also make easier to transport. I know they have cutting service but not sure if they would cut accoustic board as they have backing board.

Flik
Just Starting Out

Can NON Bunnings wooden items be cut to size?

I have 2 wooden bar stools that I need to trim the legs and reduce their height.

Could I bring these into the Bunnings wood workshop and pay to have someone make the cuts for me?

My husband has advised that he can do it.  I just prefer a "commercial" clean cut.

Each stool leg is approximately 80mm square.

Thanks in advance.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects