Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garage storage makeover

lcooksey88
Having an Impact

Garage storage makeover

Love our garage make over to increase storage space & most importantly create a functional space for everyone! 

99732AFA-39D3-40A1-B0E9-29DF21262FAB.jpeg

93216477-FD2A-4576-A83A-5CFD554C2E10.jpeg

AB8D3B7C-80F2-4FAA-B271-849E3F3AC4A0.jpeg

76C5ED56-CFA2-4631-8C48-9297529D97B8.jpeg

D4C254D9-37C6-4D0E-AC7A-465E3E4FB0D8.jpeg

7EC1C0F5-C1C8-4964-8C15-2891EE75E92B.jpeg

D092BCAE-F47E-47C3-ABE9-C3F3A9FC7E34.jpeg

iolene
Cultivating a Following

Re: Garage storage makeover

wow, that looks awesome. Love the peg board.

barrydavis
Just Starting Out

Where and what did you get? I want to do the exact same thing in my garage. Love how you found a way to store the mower as well!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @barrydavis. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and fantastic to see this project has inspired you.

Let me mention @lcooksey88, so they are alerted to your question and hopefully can assist with a list of products used.

If they don't have details of the products used, I'll attempt to piece it together for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @barrydavis,

Just wanted to extend my own warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your garage. Perhaps share some photos of its current state so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice.

I'm sure @MitchellMc and @lcooksey88 will get back to you ASAP with those product details. I know these were mentioned:

• The shelving is the Rack It 1000kg which we adjusted to our heights then used FJ Laminated tops as the bench.
  • To hang the cleaning tools on the wall, the Oates 5 Handle Storage Holder was used. I just trimmed it down with the grinder to fit our space.
  • For the peg boards, we used the 900x450 Pinnacle ones. Cut them down slightly to fit in our space, screwed them off to ply board that we screwed to the racking and placed a support bar at the back of the ply also onto the racking. 

All the best,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @barrydavis,

I've had a look at the products used, and it appears that the following list should provide most of what you need. Hopefully, @lcooksey88 might be able to run her eyes over my list to double-check that I've covered everything and that they are the same products she's used.

You might also like to check out the full range of shelving from Rack It heavy duty storage. There are plenty of options to make your own custom layouts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

I'm about to start something similar, after being told we are by my wife....

My garage is nothing but chaos and I would love it to be as organised as this one.

Well done and thanks for the inspiration.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Wonderful to see you make your first post @Neilso and it's great that you've found inspiration through this project. Let me tag @lcooksey88 so they are alerted to your kind comment.

We'd love to see updates along the way, so feel free to hit Start a discussion to share more about your project when you are ready.

Stevie

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Wow that workbench and tool rack wall are outstanding!

sav006
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc (and others)

What are your thoughts on how the timber panel is secured to the framing of the shelve arms?

I have the MDF shelf currently as worktop but would love to have a nice timber finish like in the setup in this post. 

Hard to say exactly from the photos but do you think the OP @lcooksey88 placed this on top of horizontal bars (also of the MDF in my case) or do you think it was cut to size and placed to sit flush along the shelf bars? By the looks, my guess is it is sitting on top of the bars as it seems slightly raised. If placed on top how do you suggest the best way to secure this to prevent it sliding or moving? Not permanently like with liquid nails or something. Screw it into the shelving? Or strong double sided tape?

I know you won't know exactly what was done here but would love to know your suggestions. 

Thanks. 

p.s. Any simple suggestions to make work surface harder wearing like a clear coat? Or just keep the surface removable to replace/renew if it ever is needed?

p.p.s. I'll post up a thread once my set up is complete based on this inspiration. It's slowly getting there but nearly done now. 

- Giving it a go, one nail at a time
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sav006

Thank you for sharing your query about the laminated timber panel as a work surface.

Let me tag @lcooksey88 so that they are made aware of your question. My colleague @MitchellMc is currently on a much well-deserved leave as his family has recently had a new baby. The typical MDF panel used on the RACK-IT systems is usually 15mm thick. The panels you're planning to use are around 26mm thick so they will peek past the steel bars. 

The MDF panel is cut precisely at 597mm so it's safe to assume that the manufacturers have given it one or two millimeters of play in order for the panel to fit in. The laminated work panel is 600mm deep, if you slowly plane the timber down you can get a very snug fit. That solves your forward and backward movement of the worktop. I recommend using Zenith 12G x 20mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws - 50 Pack as an example to fasten the benchtop to the steel bars from the bottom. Please double-check the length that you need to avoid drilling past your benchtop surface.

I recommend using Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish and some light sanding between coats. Because you are using it as a worktop I suggest a minimum of at least three coats for a very tough surface. I suggested satin so that you will not get a high glare from the finish if you have lights directly above your work surface.

We look forward to seeing your work area once it's finished. If you need more information or assistance with your project please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects