Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Guttering advice needed!

Hansi
Cultivating a Following

Guttering advice needed!

Hi Guys... I have an old shed with a tin roof and I want to fix up some guttering. The tin roof overhangs quite a way and my plan was to fix up some sort of board to attach the brackets to, etc. I had a look in Bunnings yesterday but I could only find very short brackets. The overhang is 23 cm, so even with the board, I need long brackets. I really don't want to have to trim off the tin so I need some advice on the best way to tackle this job...

Cheers Hansi

IMG_5022 (1).jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Guttering advice needed!

@Hansi

I think trimming the tin would be the easiest solution. I take it you want the extra proection from the elements that the overhang offers? This is all the gutter brackets I could find - https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=gutter%20bracket&redirectFrom=Any

BTW, I noticed on your profile page that you're a children's book author. That's awesome! Would you be able to share links to some of your best books?

Hansi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks very much Kermit... I also found some zinc brackets at Bunnings but they're all very short. I think cutting the tin would be a hell of a job as it's old and quite heavy gauge, so I would prefer to find an alternative to that. I could come up with some sort of Heath Robinson contraption to hold the gutter out and under the edge of the tin, maybe adapting shelf brackets, but I'm hoping that someone might know where I can find longer gutter brackets.

Thanks for your interest in the children's books. I have 28 published books that appear in many different languages around the world, some may be out of print now, but you can see some of my illustrations on Pinterest... 

http://www.pinterest.com/johnalfredrowe/a-few-of-my-illustrations/  or simply google John A Rowe

Thanks again for the advice, cheers, Hansi

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Hi g&g do a facia-less gutter bracket. Bolts directly to tin. Others do similar, google facialess gutter or hanging gutter or self supporting gutter. Havent used the above but remember seeing a similar idea. I think it was with panel span but I dont think they sell direct to the public.
James
Hansi
Cultivating a Following

Hi James, many thanks for the info about facia-less guttering. I did a few google searches but couldn't find the ones that you mention, however, I did find one on Stratco's site... which apparently has a small fold, or lip, at the back of the gutter which enables it to be easily secured to roof sheeting. So I think I'll have to give them a visit and check that particular style out... I'm trying to get something fixed up before the heavier rain promised for this weekend!

Cheers, Hansi

blocka
Finding My Feet

you could use 100mm stack pipe pvc cut along print to keep a strait line about 20mm slot, use a diamond blade or smillar spread one end to slip over and work your way along fits tight ues a bit of hoop iron strap back to iron with screws or rivetts to secure  cut end cap and  90 deg bend to siut and pvc glue minimal leaves and sticks .

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @blocka. We look forward to reading more of your posts soon. Do you have plumbing experience? 

Welcome to Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Not a bad idea there @blocka 

pstq
Having an Impact

I had the same problem, and ended up bolting on extensions to the rafters and doing it the normal way. I extended the overhang at the same time so the path to the shed door has full cover. I assume there are rafters, but maybe not.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects