Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hang 50kg Boxing Bag from Car Port

seancleary
Finding My Feet

Hang 50kg Boxing Bag from Car Port

25227B2F-CC1C-4DAF-8936-610C4FFE4E00.jpeg

E7FCAD71-3ABF-4AC7-858E-416049D3B1CC.jpeg

043B1C02-57B8-4D2D-A274-0DC70343CA5D.jpeg

Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a 50kg heavy boxing bag which I plan on hanging from my car port. Initially, the plan was to hang the bag from the largest beam in the car port which is approx 200x50mm. However, this will mean the bag will be far too low. I would therefore instead like to hang the bag from the secondary beam which is approx 90mm (deep) x 50mm (wide). With the weight in mind, I was wondering if I could fix the bag to this secondary beam? I’ve included some images showing the beam and also the ‘heavy duty’ fixing bracket / fixings I plan on using. Any help / assistance / point load info would be greatly appreciate... the last thing I want to do is damage the beam and my carport. Thanks, Sean.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Hang 50kg Boxing Bag from Car Port

Hello @seancleary 

The vibration from the bag will resonate all its strength on that 90 x 50 which is currently being held in place by my conservative guess of 2 x 10G x 90mm screws. It in turn is currently being supported by the 200 x 50's. If vibrated enough it will either loosen the anchor of the 10g x 90 screws and possibly shift the 50 x 20 braces on top and tear the screws on your colorbond roofing. May I suggest to run an independent piece of timber across the two 200 x 50's and cross brace on 45 degree angles with more timber to spread the vibration load. You can use heavy duty angle brackets to further brace the set up. Please look carefully at what is holding up the 200 x 50's if they are only slotted in with light anchors you may have to change and reinforce them. The independent piece of timber will localize the vibration and possible damage to your roofing frame. The average human punch ranges from 100 to 300 psi. Factor in repeated hits of this nature and it will generate a great deal of force that the bag and its anchor will need to absorb and redistribute. Please take this in to account when testing for possible anchor points.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @seancleary. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd agree with @redracer01 that the 90 x 45mm timber will not support the weight and a stronger member's addition is required. As Red has mentioned, running another timber piece, perhaps Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm, on top of the 200 x 50mm timber might be the best option.

Please let us know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc  @redracer01 Thank you both so much for your swift help and advice! This really is an awesome workshop community. Will put up the additional beam / bracing up this weekend. Thanks again! Sean

Great, let us know how you go with it @seancleary.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Sean.

"Initially, the plan was to hang the bag from the largest beam in the car port which is approx 200x50mm. However, this will mean the bag will be far too low."

It was many years ago when my sons went through a sorta semi-violent stage and insisted on having a punching bag. I experienced similar problems with the height but managed to make it fit with a home made low profile welded bracket that straddled the beam and held in place with a large bolt and somehow adjusting the bag attachment length. This was the back verandah.

The beam had no problems supporting the weight of the bag.

But - then there was the vibration. With every hit and kick and ultimate destruction of their imaginary villains, the whole back area seemed to judder and shudder and all the corrugated iron rumbled. I've never been in a U-Boat whilst being depth-charged, but this musta been close.

My wife and I put up with this for around three weeks and then she demanded I take it down.

I can still make out the puttied hole in the beam.

I'd be very keen to hear how you make out with this and hopefully have a far better experience. 😉

Scan0425.jpg20210113_141631.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects