Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me build my outdoor cabinet

CraigA
Finding My Feet

Help me build my outdoor cabinet

Hi all, I'm looking to build an external cupboard to store old toys, porta cot, golf clubs, Xmas tree and anything else I can't fit in my small shed.

SmartSelect_20201202-141525_Opera.jpg

As much as it is going to be outside, in Melbourne, I plan to locate it under a carport in an area where it won't get wet from rain or touched by the sun (maybe one side for 1 or 2 hours tops during summer). Humidity will change and be high in winter etc but as I said water from rain won't be an issue at all.

It will be free standing and as it is in a carport but I also need to lock it for security. It will be around the back of the house where 2 town houses have been built on sub divided land.

I trust the current tenants (they are our properties) but the occasional delivery person, guest etc does go around the back. I won't store anything of sentimental value that can't be replaced. Therefore it doesn't need to be fort knox but at the same time secure enough that someone would have to use significant force to break in.

Dimensions will be roughly 2.7 x 2.0 x .75m (WxHxD)

I'm slowly building the plans in my head as I go, but I was hoping for some advice on what type of timber I should use. This is not my strong point. Treated vs not treated. Dressed vs not dressed.

I was thinking that the main 6 post would be approx 100x100mm.

I am considering using plywood panels for the sides, back, doors and roof. Although it won't look as nice, in my mind this would be less work and cheaper. Thoughts? Ideas on what thickness?

I am trying to keep the costs as low as possible. So if I have to do a bit of sanding to save significant money that's ok.

Any other advice you might have would be great too. Looking forward to your help and sharing my journey. 

20201216_152833.jpg

received_1027704841071671.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Advice to build my outdoor cabinet

Hi Craig.

"Dimensions will be roughly 2.7 x 2.0 x .75m (WxHxD)"

Does it have to be wood (seems expensive)?

Metal maybe?

This looked interesting...

https://www.easyshed.com.au/garden-sheds/colorbond-sheds/otw-garden-shed-3-75m-w-x-0-78m-d-x-1-95m-h...

ew-d3808-sg.jpg

Re: Advice to build my outdoor cabinet

Thanks for your response @Noyade 

I have looked at that shed and other similar. I am looking for a lot of shelf space. Being that they these sheds quite narrow and the door only provides access to a small portion of the space. These sheds would be great for golf clubs, brooms, spade etc but not the shelf space and access I am wanting. 

Plus I am keen on getting on the tools and building something myself. 

CraigA
Finding My Feet

Re: Help me build my outdoor cabinet

Hi @MitchellMc I've seen you make timber recommendations, any chance you could help?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CraigA. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I'd recommend you start by constructing a frame from Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm to suit your dimensions. I'm not seeing any reason why you would need to use 100 x 100mm posts unless they were to be exposed complementing the construction of the carport.

I think cladding the structure with James Hardie 4200 x 230 x 7.5mm FC Woodgrain HardiPlank Weatherboard would give a better finish than plywood. Exterior grade plywood can also be quite expensive, so it's not really a cost-cutting measure.

You might need to use marine-grade plywood for the doors as they will be quite wide. You could certainly use plywood for all the cladding and reduce the thickness to 2440 x 1220 x 9mm AA Grade Mixed Hardwood Marine Plywood for the walls.

Please let us know if you have some questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Yes, the idea behind the larger posts were that they are to be exposed. Wanting to get it to look very similar to the image in my original post. 

Posts don't have to be exactly 100mm, they can be a bit smaller. 

Would pine sleepers be a good option? Or should I buy the wrapped posts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@CraigA,

Pine sleepers are rough sawn, and the wrapped posts have been milled smooth. If you are looking to achieve something similar to the original image, then I'd encourage you to use the posts.

Mitchell

Looking forward to seeing your project come together @CraigA, I'm sure it will inspire many other Workshop community members. 

Jason

Thanks @Jason now I have just to find the time. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects