Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How Best to Make Sanding Drums for My Ryobi Router

alupton
Building a Reputation

How Best to Make Sanding Drums for My Ryobi Router

I have a Ryobi 1600w Plunge Router with 1/4" and 1/2" (6.35 & 12.7mm) collets. I have the router on its own dedicated table and intend to use it for a variety of sizes and grit sanding drums. They will be 5cm high and 5, 3, 2 cm in diameter. The grits will be 80, 120/240 and 400. I'm thinking I might need to buy M6 bolts to go through the drum for 1/4" or M12 for the1/2" collets. This video will explain my plans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYiizoT_aiI My intention is to use these drums for internal sections of my projects - think toy car windows. My other thought is maybe even on minimum speed my router might be too fast and I'd be better off using the drums on my drill press. Any and all input appreciated. Cheers, Al

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How Best to Make Sanding Drums for My Ryobi Router

Hi @alupton. I'd be happy to start the discussion off.

It sounds like a great project you have going on. I noticed you were mentioning that a scroll saw would perhaps be a great addition to your workshop for these projects. Scroll saws have the ability to cut tight patterns very accurately. The nature of the machine with practice will bring you very close to finishing cuts. Unlike a jigsaw, you will find a minimum amount of sanding will be required, you might even just need quick hand sanding to finish.

Routers generally run at a fairly fast speed.  On their minimum speed, they should be suitable for the drum sander project.

Please be advised that a standard bolt is not designed to run at 24,000 RPM in a router. Consideration would need to be made for their suitability to the task.

Personally I use a drill with dowel and sandpaper attached but I do look forward to seeing what our helpful community members are using to sand intricate pieces on their own projects. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alupton
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 
I will now use my drill press for the sanding drums. This will free up my router that has the added con of being more difficult to change the drums as needed. Thanks for your warning about the suitability of using bolts. I'd also be pleased to free up my jigsaw so will buy a scroll saw this weekend. You and others have presented a very persuasive case! Cheers, Al

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alupton.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the new addition of the scroll saw. We will be looking forward to all the projects you have to share!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"I will now use my drill press for the sanding drums."

I've found those drum sanding kits useful with the drill press...

20200430_145101.jpg

alupton
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much @Noyade  
I often see something on YouTube and think that it looks like an easy and cheaper way to make woodworking accessories. More times than not, it really isn't. I've just bought this kit which looks good value. In fact, I bought two - one dedicated to coarse 80 grit and one for fine 120 grit. I also wanted to better spend my shipping costs money. Changing between drums and the two different grits will certainly be easier now thanks to you. Cheers, Al

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects