Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make this bike stand?

bikerackman
Just Starting Out

How can I make this bike stand?

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 8.24.56 pm.png

download.jpeg

How do you recommend I make this bike stand? I'm not sure what wood is best (probably need something dense enough that would withstand lateral pressures of a standing bike, and something affordable). 

Where can I buy some timber large enough for this project that isn't ridiculously expensive. Happy to stain it myself. 

Id prefer to make the one without dimensions but that may be a stretch. 

Willing to buy any appropriate tools ect. Currently have none.

Thanks so much. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I make this bike stand?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bikerackman. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The top image would be the easier of the two to construct with minimal tools. You should only need a drill for pilot holes and a jigsaw. It appears they might be using something similar to 9mm plywood as opposed to a solid piece of timber. I've included a plan below of what the pieces involved could look like.

The second image doesn't look like it has the interlocking tabs and perhaps would not be as structurally sound. I'm also not sure how you would go about creating the feet, as that would require a large and thick piece of timber to achieve the shape. A 110 x 32mm x 2.4m Tas Oak DAR Timber might be thick and wide enough to cut the curved shape out of.

Let me mention some of our keen woodworkers @Poppop, @r23on, @woodenwookie to see if they would like to join the conversation. 

You might also interested in checking out this D.I.Y. portable bike stand by @Tara86 and the step-by-step tutorial D.I.Y. Multiple bike rack.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Both these stand have been made on CNC machines, however these units are easy enough to make. 

I would use the top photo as the bases for your stand. 

Grab a sheet of project cardboard create your template of the desired shape which includes the slots to link the components together. The arc needed for the design is the radius of the wheel of the bike ie if the wheel is a 20in then the radius is 10in

Tools need - a good jig saw sanding materials and sealer.

Material as suggested ply - I would use marine grade 12mm and 20mm dowel to link the components together or spend the time and include the slots

Drilling - I would use a forstner bit because standard twist drill cause tare out on ply 

On the other hand if you go to the local mens shed a lot of them have made their own CNC router and could knock the shape up for you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bikerackman,

Hope all is well.

Just wondering whether you proceeded with this project?

It would be great to see the end result.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects