Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I flash external vent into corrugated sheet?

Seaton
Having an Impact

How do I flash external vent into corrugated sheet?

Hi all this is a question.

I want to put in a vent on the outside of my wall for fume extraction on my laser cutter.  The question is how do I flash the vent into the corrugation sheet that is running vertically and water proof it? 

The colorbond profile I'm mounting the vent into is much like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/colorbond-steel-xrw-s-rib-corrugated-42-bmt-steel-roofing-monument_p1141...

The vent I'm putting in is this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/q-decor-150mm-square-gravity-vent_p0074119

Regards,

Stephen

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I flash external vent into corrugated sheet?

If you mean one of these in the side wall? Flahing kit supplied is for a roof mount and the design of the blades would not stop water if it is not pointing up.image.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Seaton,

I think you need to edit your post and replace the link to the vent as it's currently the same link as the Colorbond roofing sheet.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Seaton
Having an Impact

ooops thanks for that....fixed.  Ive updated the original post

Seaton
Having an Impact

no my bad I have fixed the main post with the correct link.   However is this vent https://www.bunnings.com.au/q-decor-150mm-square-gravity-vent_p0074119

Seaton
Having an Impact

I found a way to do this, apologies for no photos as I didnt have my phone on me when I did it, will try and get some this weekend, however what I did was.

I cut the required hole the size of my vent so that it sat on top of the profile ridges on each side, however at the top where I need my flashing I cut up an extra 50mm length to suite my intended flashing in a retangular shape at the top

For my flashing I had some left over colorbond fence sheet so I cut this out in a square making sure It ended on top of the ridge profile.  The width was slightly wider than my vent on each side and extra length that will slide up under the corrugated profile of my wall at the top of my cutout, that retangular bit extra I cut out for my vent.  So the top of the ridge became the flashing for the top of my vent and slid the extra up under my corrugated wall in the hole I had just cut.

I then installed my vent up under the ridge, then secured and sealed as normal.

The ridge of the fencing profile forms a lip to prevent rain etc from getting into the top of the vent where its installed.  On the bottom  side of the vent I just bent up the corrugation like you would do for roofing.  

2019-07-24_08-24-32.png

You need to use a product called decktite. It is used for chimney, breathing and ducting applications in a vertical application. You must use roof and gutter silicone.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01 

I did look at those as I had used one previously for my wood heater, Unfortunately it would not have worked in this situation.  The vent I needed to flash in on the vertical corrugated wall is the one shown below and doesnt really lend itself to that type of flashing.  

Luckily the edges (left and right) both landed on a raised corrugation so sealed nicely there, it was the top that needed flashing to prevent any ingress of water,  so in the method I outlined above using some fence sheeting worked well in the end and yes sealed with some gutetr silicon I had on hand.  We've had some good rain and so far so good :laugh: 

40e6a4da-9c2f-406c-8015-5eb3ccac4acd.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects