Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to assemble roof of Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m wooden gazebo?

FuzzyBo
Finding My Feet

How to assemble roof of Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m wooden gazebo?

We’re having trouble assembling our gazebo, at the point of putting the roofing on. We can’t align the iron against both the ridge and the roof trusses, on the second side - the first went together nicely. There’s almost 2 cm gap between one top corner of the iron and the roof rafter when the iron is lined up with the truss. If we instead align to the ridge then the bottom corner hole ends out in space, past the side rafter, so it can’t be screwed down.

Does anyone have tips on how to nudge the alignments into square, please?IMG_2629.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m Wooden Gazebo troubleshooting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @FuzzyBo. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about assembling a gazebo.

My first thought would be, is the structure square? If it's out of square, then this is the type of issue you'd run into. Can you take diagonal measurements between your posts and let us know if the structure is square? If it is, you'll have the same distance between the posts measured diagonally across the structure. If this measurement is off, then that needs to be resolved.

From what you're showing, it sounds like the far end of the structure needs to be nudged over a few centimetres.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. Thanks for answering. I’ve been over the diagonals and the distances between posts, and they’re all within a couple of mm.

As I said, the first side went together nicely. The rafters are square to the trusses (pic 1), so the roof iron lines up with the trusses and the rafters. 

However, on the other side, the rafters are not square to the trusses (pic 2) with a half inch gap between my builders square where there should be maybe 1-2mm at most. If one side of the truss is square, surely the other half should be too?IMG_3815.jpegIMG_3817.jpegagonals are equal.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We can't rule out that there is something wrong with the manufacturer of the product @FuzzyBo. However, if your diagonals are the same length, it would be difficult to determine where this issue is being introduced.

Let me tag a few of our members, @Dave-1, @Noyade and @Nailbag, for their thoughts.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @FuzzyBo 

😕 What a pain. Id say the frame is out of square most probarly. Ive had the same thing happen to me when I was building my gazebo and I would have sworn that  I had everything square.

You can see the tin on the roof not following the straight ridge is why I am thinking this (Your first photo) You have lined up the tin with one edge and as you continue across it wants to go higher. I fixed mine by removing and re-attaching the tin at a better angle and then used the right angle trim (along the roof edeg and wall) to "hide" my mistake as it goes over the roof and also down the wall a little.

If your walls are out of true and cannot be straightened then my suggestion would be to "fix" the trusses/ roof suppost so they are square. If you force them into place that presure will warp things overtime. Far better to add a piece of timber to teh sides/trim a piece to make things line up if you get my drift.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@FuzzyBo,

I just wanted to add that if we can't resolve the issue here, the next step will be to contact Mimosa to help rectify this issue. I'll stick with you until we have this resolved.

Mitchell

Can we replace the roofing material with something like colourbond, so we can attach where the rafters are, without leaving misaligned holes which could leak?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @FuzzyBo 

If you have a wider ridgecap it could get you out of trouble. The bottom of the roofline may not be so straight is all. The wider ridgecap would cover the gap at the top.

Dave

We have only the ridgecap that came with the kit. What can Bunnings supply that would suit the cabana? Can Bunnings supply replacement roofing at no cost to us, since we can’t get one half to fit straight while the other fits? I’ve measured the rafter angles at 88º instead of 90º, so they’re not sitting square to line up.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FuzzyBo,

There are certainly options available for ridge capping through Bunnings Special-Orders desks, however before we go down that route can I ask a few questions that might help trouble shoot.

Is the surface the gazebo is going on perfectly level?

This gap makes me think it's possible the post at the bottom right of this photo might be elevated from the rest. If this was the case, the posts can appear square, but they are pushing everything above out of square.

Would it also be possible to get a photo siting directly down the ridge beam? If this is not perfectly straight, it may also shed some light.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects