Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a PVC racing simulator cockpit?

K9Elite
Finding My Feet

How to build a PVC racing simulator cockpit?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at building a PVC inspired Racing Simulator for my son. (Similar to the one the photo I have posted). Has anyone built something similar and if so would they have any recommendation on how to proceed? I haven't really worked with PVC before so this will be all new to me. Should I opt for a cheaper brand over the more expensive ones, which one is recommended etc 

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

Felipe

PVC cockpit 62_Dimensions.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a PVC racing simulator cockpit?

Hello @K9Elite

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a PVC racing cockpit.

I've had a similar question asked by a customer in the store. Using PVC is a great way to save on weight and makes the driving frame light and easy to transfer. You can even store it vertically so that it is out of the way when your son is not playing. I suggest using 40mm pressure pipe fittings, these are also known as swimming pool pipe fittings. They are able to take a great amount of pressure and can handle rough use.

Whereas the grey pipes that are used for drain and waste are not as strong and prone to crack and splinter. The key component to the assembly is the type of seat you'll be purchasing. An aftermarket racing bucket seat would be ideal for this setup as it has adjustable mounts which you can easily attach onto a timber base.

If you have a plan already in your hand, I suggest having your son sit down on a chair that's the same height as the car seat you'll be purchasing and taking some general measurements for length width and height. Make sure to take into account that larger children might want to try the setup as well. 

Visit one of your local stores and familiarize yourself with the parts, from there you'll be able to determine how much pipe you'll need and how many bends will be necessary for the assembly.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @Remarka6le and @TheRenoDad for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Thank's for the mention @EricL , 

Back when I was doing my Masters, some students on campus decided to make a bunch of these (6 total) for their race game nights (they took it very seriously), the image you've posted is extremely similar to what they created. From memory the majority of it was made up of 50mm pressure pipe cut to fit varying heights, but they all had something like 16 tee's, 12 90° bends, 12x 45° bends and 4 cups (also 50mm). Each section was glued together so nothing would pop out under strain, but for the life of me I can't remember what they used, @EricL might have a good idea.

2 guys bolted their seats to some plywood for extra stability, while a third (the host, so he never had to transport it) did the same but filled his pipes with concrete, and that thing was solid (he was a larger guy though). 

Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @K9Elite

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. To get a clean join with adhesive, I suggest using Protek 250ml Type N Clear PVC Cement For Non Pressure Pipes. This is a clear drying adhesive so you won't see any blue or green tint on the outside of the pipe.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL and @Remarka6le 

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for your assistance and excellent advice! 

I am excited for this little project and I am sure I will enjoy this Sim Rig as much as my boys will!

I will definitely post pictures of the process as I go through it. I am going to set up a plan and try to create somewhat of a blueprint to work off. The information you have both provided is exactly what I was looking for and really appreciate all the help.

Kind Regards

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects