Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to countersink screws?

Ricochet
Getting Established

How to countersink screws?

What’s the best way to countersink screws?  I generally go too far or too shallow or the countersunk hole is crooked and part of the screw sticks out.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: countersink screws

Ricochet you could try using something like a P&N Countersick drill bit first (available at Bunnings)  they are adjustable and then set the torque on you driver at a lower level. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ricochet,

It's great to see you have already received a helpful reply from @JDE.

Are you using a countersinking bit or a standard drill bit for the holes?

The P&N Quickbits certainly appear to be a great way to get a perfect countersunk hole. Although it doesn't come with a drill bit and is a two-step system I've been using a P&N 13mm Rosehead Countersink Bit which I have found to be very effective. It still requires you to to keep the bit perpendicular to the surface and you'll want to be careful that you don't go too deep. 

I'd be interested to hear what our other members use to get that perfect countersunk hole. Let me mention @woodenwookie, @r23on, @Brad, @Bundaboy and @Stuardo who are all keen woodworkers to see if they can share some tips and tricks.

Please let us know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Just a normal drill bit.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ricochet,

If you are just using a normal drill bit any of the above-mentioned products will make your life a lot easier.

Please let us know how you go using a specific counter-sinking bit or if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Ricochet

If you are having trouble with depth I would stick with the P&N Quickbits as pointed out by Michell and as a rule the drill is the correct drill bit to suite the screw save a lot of time and mucking around.

Regards

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to countersink screws?

Hello @Ricochet 

This is what I use when I do counter sink holes. My favorite in my bit box.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2020-08-25 P N 10G Quickbit TCT Cut Smart Countersink Drill Bit.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have a set of countersinks with pilot drills and a vix bit for hinges.

I prefer screws with either square or hex head so they won't slip like philips heads may and bits with some length so you can get the screws straighter for driving.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects