Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a damaged ceiling

Maymay
Building a Reputation

How to fix a damaged ceiling

Hi expert team

I need to repair my garage ceiling , could you Please tell me what materials and steps to fix the ceiling

this is the damage and please find attached photo 

Thank you 

May 

301043B7-C0C2-49D6-B01F-8A86C871A041.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix damage ceiling

Welcome to the Workshop community @Maymay. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to answer it.

First, you will need to take a paint scraper and remove any loose material from the area. You should then follow that up with sanding the area with Flexovit 100mm x 1m 180 Grit Painted Surfaces Sandpaper Roll to remove any uneven surfaces or residual flaking. Next, take some Spakfilla and a plastic joint knife and apply an even coating over the area. Go back over that area once dry with the sandpaper to remove any excess Spakfilla or imperfections. To seal the area I would recommend Zinsser 1l B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer as not only does it prime ready for paint, but will block that staining from coming through the topcoat.

Once you have followed that method you can choose your own preferred ceiling paint to apply over the area.

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y article on How to patch plaster which you might find of assistance in the process.

If you need further assistance or had other questions please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you very much for your super advice, I will tell you if I done properly 
Regards

May 

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

The area on the ceiling needs to repair is bigger than I expected, spakfilla is very light , when I applied it dropped a lot , can I use other product like gyprock csr multi purpose joint compound 
Thank you

May

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay,

Could you please update us with an image on what the area looks like now that you have prepared it? You might need to build the Spakfilla up in thinner layers as possibly too much is being applied at the one time. You can try the CSR joint compound, but it is a very similar product and will also need to be applied in thin layers.

Try working on just a small area at a time, fill the deepest areas first and allow them to dry. The product needs to be applied in thin layers (less than 3mm) allowing the previous one to dry before starting the next one.

If you need further advice, please let me know.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

Sorry about the very late update of my ceiling repair, it was not too bad for my first time, thank you very much for your advice 

Best regards 

May
A7BA30E6-9FBC-4A9F-8961-9C13D78DA928.jpeg

E3B753BD-D918-4EE7-92DB-8758AFA8F175.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks great @Maymay. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. Don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects