Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a shelf on plaster wall in garage?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to hang a shelf on plaster wall in garage?

Hi All,

I wanted to hang a shelf on a plasterboard wall on the garage (photo as per below). And might put something weighing 7-8kg. The dimension of the shelf is around 550 x 135mm. Can the plasterwall able to support the weight. The shelf has hook on the back (4 corner)

1. if I drill on the stud, how long mm or screw should I need?
2. If I can’t find a stud point, is there any plug I can use to lock it to support the weight?843B03F9-637F-4758-9832-5D02C8E7D15E.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hanging a shelf on plaster wall on garage

Hi @calccom21 

Thanks for sharing your question about hanging a shelf on plasterboard. I suggest using an 8g x 60mm Chipboard Screw. I recommend a minimum of four screws to anchor the shelf in place. 

If you happen to miss the stud, I suggest using a Tox M6 Flip Toggle Bolt which is rated with a holding capacity of 20kg. But just to be safe it's best to have at least one part of the shelf anchored in a stud.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to mount wall laundry cabinets to metal studs? by @Rob89. Although the discussion is about a steel stud, the technique used to anchor the cabinet to the wall is applicable to your project.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to hang a shelf on plaster wall in garage?

Hi @calccom21,

I trust Eric's advice contains everything you need. Let us know how you go with the project.

For other readers, the guide How to hang just about anything is always a great resource. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects