Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate garage wall and door?

jeremiah
Just Starting Out

How to insulate garage wall and door?

Our garage gets extremely hot and I want to insulate it by attaching foam / batts to the door and a wall. I'm hoping people can suggest the right materials and techniques.

The garage faces north and west and is totally exposed to sun for most of the day. Above the garage is a balcony (concrete) so that also absorbs heat. The door is a single piece door that folds up and under the ceiling. The south wall is the shared wall with the neighbour's house. 

The garage is single brick except for two columns of doubled brick. I'm hoping I can stick some batts in the spaces between the double brick columns.

PXL_20230309_055813442~2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulate garage wall and door

Hello @jeremiah 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about insulating your garage door and wall.

For your garage door, I suggest having a look at the GI Building Sciences 10mm 0.5 x 24m 12m² Reflecta Garage Door Insulation. it has been designed to mount onto single or multiple panel garage doors. 

The ideal way to install insulation on your brick wall is to build a timber stud wall. This will allow you to mount the insulation bats in the traditional manner. You can then cover it with standard gib rock panel, and you won't have to deal with complicated mounting systems.

I also recommend having a quick look at this discussion - How to insulate a garage tilt door? by @lydp. This discussion should give you more ideas on how to insulate your garage door. 

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you add insulation to a garage or shed?

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ayoung70
Just Starting Out

HI Eric

I'm very interested in this topic as well.  Have just moved into a townhouse where I will need to use the single inbuilt garage for storage and overflow living. (no car) It also contains my laundry.  However, mine is a roller door, not a panel lift.  Is there anything like GI Building Sciences 10mm 0.5 x 24m 12m² Reflecta Garage Door Insulation. for roll up  doors not panel tilt ?

thanks

Adele  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Adele (@ayoung70),

I'll give GI Building Sciences a call after the weekend to see if their product can be used on a roller door. Their product appears to be aimed at tilt doors, but having a look at other products on the market designed for roller doors, they appear to be very similar. The only caveat to them is that they recommend ensuring that the insulation doesn't interfere with the door's ability to roll up. 

I am not aware of any other insulation product we range that is specifically designed for roller doors.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ayoung70,

I've emailed GI building sciences and will update you when I hear back from them.

Mitchell

RSS
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to insulate garage wall and door?

@jeremiahFoam insulation will work.  A quick search Bunnings Foam Insulation shows items that will work.  All these products can be screwed and possibly glued with the right product, to hold it in place. 

Foam insulation does not need to be covered like bats do, but areas like the wall where they may get knocked and damaged easy, covering would be recommended.  In this case, consider framing out and then install the foam as suggested by @EricL for insulation bats.  As the foam is not strong enough to have things mounted to it, a wood frame is needed to mount a covering over the foam.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Adele (@ayoung70),

GI building Sciences is currently testing their Reflecta-Shed Plus for suitability on roller garage doors. It's 4mm thick and would be more suitable for that use than the garage door insulation, which is 10mm thick. They are concerned that the 10mm product will inhibit the roller doors function. I'm looking forward to hearing back from them after testing, and I'll let you know their results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects