Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to line a shed ceiling?

GeoffC22
Finding My Feet

How to line a shed ceiling?

I would like to line my garage ceiling with 12mm pine vee joint boards. Can I screw them directly to the underside of the top hats? If so what type of screws should I use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to line a shed ceiling?

Hello @GeoffC22 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about lining your shed ceiling.

In order to give our members a better idea of what your shed ceiling looks like, would it be possible for you to post a photo of it? We can then assess its configuration and offer recommendations on how to install the vee joint pine boards.

Generally, any ceiling cover material you attach to your shed roof would require a frame, if there is an existing one already in place you should be able to screw the panels into place. But it's best to see what you have before we go any further.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GeoffC22 

Thanks for sharing those extra photos of your shed roof. Looking at its configuration, I propose building a timber batten frame between the steel purlins. This will allow you to screw the pine boards in place. 

But before you build the timber frame, I suggest speaking to the steel shed builder and asking them about the weight capacity the steel ceiling frame can hold. Make sure to tell them of your plans and what materials you're planning to attach. They will probably advise you on weight capacity and where to fix the timber battens on your ceiling frame.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects