Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace garage door bottom seal?

krishnak
Finding My Feet

How to replace garage door bottom seal?

IMG20211004222918.jpg

IMG20211004222722.jpg

IMG20211004222818.jpg

 hi team iam looking to replace double garage rolling door bottom seal but when checked couldn't match existing with it B&D or moroday bottom seal with item number 4000019 so can you help me based on image which one I should buy as some asking to remove the seal and show the clear edge but I couldn't remove it and it has T ends so couldn't understand how people using U shaped bottom seals

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace garage door bottom seal

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @krishnak. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing garage door seals.

It appears you might need the old style B&D seal, which has a T-section on either side as per the image I've supplied below. Our Premier Blue 5.2m Garage Door Weather Seal also has those same T-sections on either side so it could fit. Raven also has the RP143 Replacement Roller-Door Seal for B&D doors made before 1997, which we can place a special order for.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Thanks

We purchased the house recently but it was indicated that it was built In 2017 so iam surprised how could they use old B&D 1997 model.however ,how would I remove the weather seal,and do I need to buy any glue to stick it ,based on image of premier blue the adaptor  rail seems to hold U shaped seal? So do I need to remove Adaptor rail also and purchase new one, can I have floor seal C link and it will be durable to have floor seal also? And the review of b&D sent by you indicated it doesn't have T edges?

Purchased this for my Firmadoor .. made by B&D but does not fit. Profile is different to package. Has domed edges, not flat T edges so won't fit in door grooves. There are other versions available but all have same packaging! Can't tell what differences there are from web site. Need to wait till after lockdown. 

Are you sure it fits my T edge?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @krishnak

The Premier Blue 5.2m Garage Door Weather Seal that @MitchellMc mentioned is compatible with your garage door. One of the rail guides must be removed so that you can slide the old sealer out and slide the new one in. The "U" shape is achieved by sliding both sides of the sealer at the same time. You will see this when you pull out the old seal. No glue or sealer is necessary to attach the weather seal.

Please make sure that the power is turned off to your garage door to avoid any accidents. If you feel that this is outside your current skill set, I suggest engaging the services of a professional to fix your weather seal. Using the Premier Blue Weather Seal will provide you with a positive floor seal and it should not be necessary to install a floor seal. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @r23on  for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @krishnak 

I replaced my weather seal a couple of years ago, mine was an Airport Door brand, I had to go to the supplier to get the one that fitted, it was very easy to install, first I had to remove one of  the sliding tracks for the door, then to remove the seal it was held in place with self tapping screws, I just removed them, which allowed me to removed the old seal and install the new seal, just make sure you clean the aluminum bottom track before installing the new seal. see images below.

JoeAzza_0-1633424102077.jpeg

IMG_1589.JPGIMG_1590.JPGIMG_1591.JPG

JoeAzza_1-1633424191551.jpeg

r23on
Amassing an Audience

I agree with the previous your best bet is to go to the supplier of the door or in most case roller door parts can be sourced from most suppliers subject to the component and how they use them

The supplier  says around 160 AUD for the seal, and 320 installation fee for 2 person's as it cannot be done by single person and if I install side seals it would be around 500-600 .But I feel around 500 aud just for bottom weather seal is expensive,they ssid they can use Bunnings weather seal but after fixing it doesn't fit or leaves gap then it would be our problem, so should I buy from supplier  and search for airtasker to install?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @krishnak,

Let me tag @JoeAzza so he is alerted to your follow-up question and can share his thoughts on your quote.

Jason

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @krishnak 

I replaced the seal on my own, it took me about 1 -2 hrs to replace, I am not sure on how much I paid for the seal.  You look in your local area for a roller door repair person, they would be able to supply and fit for you.

@JoeAzza  thanks I will search for local guys and only at T end there is gap and I cannot find any possible screw to remove ,I will ask supplier if they can deliver the weather seal to my home .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects