Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shelving boards?

kanchan87
Finding My Feet

How to replace shelving boards?

Hello,

Last year I bought 3 metal shelving units for my garage (Giantz 1.8M warehouse shelving racks). At the time I didn't realise that the shelving planks wouldn't also be metal but would be particleboard instead. During this rainy season, the particleboard has developed mould and while I am planning to clean them, I also want to replace them outright with something that is moisture resistant. I am thinking either better quality wooden planks or sheets of metal. Could anyone give advise about how to go about this? The shelves need to be of good weightbearing capacity and hopefully cheap as well. I am hoping that they'd be cut to size at the store and delivered to my home. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Need help with shelving unit

Hi Kanchan

I cannot remember the name of the board - ply I believe (Mitchell and Eric would know), but it's relatively inexpensive, very strong and reasonably water-proof (my experience) and available from Bunnings.

Multiple cuts will be required though...

20220307_100508.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Need help with shelving unit

"I cannot remember the name of the board"

You senile old man. :unhappy:

FORMPLY

https://www.bunnings.com.au/formrite-formply-1200-x-595mm-17mm_p0390167

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace shelving boards?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kanchan87. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shelving boards.

We do have moisture resistant particle board, but I'm loving @Noyade's suggestion of Formply. Formply is structurally more sound and is weather resistant. It's actually weatherproof on the front surfaces as it is coated. This coating is robust and will make it exceptionally easy to slide heavy objects onto and off the shelves as it's smooth. If you paint the edges of the Formply, it will be completely resistant to mould and water penetration.

I'd recommend contacting your local store to see what options are available for in-store cutting and product delivery.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kanchan87
Finding My Feet

Re: How to replace shelving boards?

Thanks so much for the advice! It is greatly appreciated! I'll contact my local Bunnings to enquire about the formply. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects