Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to soundproof a bedroom wall?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to soundproof a bedroom wall?

Hi everyone, 

so now we are working on a project , converting our garage into 2 bedrooms, we already booked a drafter to come and draw the plan. The drafter did ask us to give him a sketch of what we want to achieve. We gave him our sketch and he said its good.

But now we suddenly realize we actually overlook the thickness of the wall between the 2 bedrooms... that means each bedroom will be less than 2.91 wide.

1) Just want to ask if anyone has any idea how thick a stud wall should be ?

2) We also want the wall to be a little bit more soundproof, but will this be a tradeoff - more soundproof but wall will be thicker, which makes each bedroom smaller

3) Is there any affordable material / design that we can ask the builder to use to make the wall more soundproof instead of making the wall thicker?

Thank you in advance! 

signal-2023-07-11-01-28-13-381.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of wall should we install ?

Hi @ivanptr,

The minimum thickness of a stud wall that could be built would likely be 90mm. That takes into account a 70mm wide stud and a 10mm sheet of plaster on either side. Typically a stud wall would be 110mm thick, utilising 90mm wide studs.

Adding Earthwool R2.5 90 x 430 x 1160mm 7.0m² HD Insulation SoundShield Wall Batts to the cavity of the wall would minimise noise transition between the two rooms. You might like to check out this Best Advice article on How do you soundproof a bedroom? We also have a guide on How to soundproof your home.

There is no typical way to make a thinner wall within the realm of standard construction techniques. I'd suggest this would be a question to pose to your builder as it will really come down to what they are willing to build.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!!

The advice is really useful!!!

now at least we have some clues on the basic concept of soundproofing a bedroom

we already forwarded the SoundShield Wall Batts url link to the builder telling him what we want.

Hope we get this conversion done soon and post our final result here🫂

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ivanptr 

I was in Bunnings today and came across some very brightly coloured  panels.  I wonder if they'd be any good? 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-800mm-9mm-acoustic-pinboard-black_p0098212

I also came across an idea on a youtube video about living in small spaces.  This guy had rectangles of felt.  He overlapped and staple-gunned them to the wall.  It created rows of overlapping 'bricks' and looked really good!  I seem to recall it was cheaper than accoustic tiles.

The only other idea I'm able to think of is to leave it as one larger room and put two beds in it at either end with privacy screens. Have the central area as relaxing area and/or study area?  In Sydney overseas student pals would be super happy with that!

Good luck!

Cheers 🤗

elaroche
Growing in Experience

Re: How to soundproof a bedroom wall?

@ivanptr 

I've done that successfully in an other country following the other country regulations. So check if it is possible here.

Multiple element impact noise material density, elasticity etc.

Wood transmit noise pretty well and is great to avoid if possible. First you'll want to isolate the framing from the garage itself. I used specific wood cork and any foam bands specifically made for that will work.

I used steel studs to reduce the thickness of the wall. In the framing I've put proper insulation. Look at the coefficient written on the panels or rolls to pick up the right one. Pick up the right thickness. If you compress it, you will reduce its properties.

I used specific gyproc boards that are made specifically for noise reduction. They are much heavier as they have a very different density. The recommandations is to double the panels crossing them on each other. This is what changed everything for me in noise reduction.

The picture attached is showing that.noise framing.jpeg

I hope this helps.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to soundproof a bedroom wall?

Hi @ivanptr,

After reading @elaroche's comment, I realised I'd forgotten about Gyprock Soundcheck. It's a higher-density version of plasterboard with increased noise absorption properties for areas where superior acoustic resistance is required. I'd agree that using this product would be a good choice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects