Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is a concrete slab the best option for a small shed?

BeckyW
Finding My Feet

Is a concrete slab the best option for a small shed?

Hi guys just wanting some advise on whether you think putting down mutiple small concrete slab in this area (pictures below) to use as a base to put a medium sized shed on would be ok in my garden considering the slope and drop on one side. Or would using instant concrete foundation blocks with a small wooden platform work too ? I'm very novice at DIY.  The area is 180 x 380cm 

Thanks

20240516_101154.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is a concrete slab the best option for a small shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BeckyW. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shed.

I have some concerns with your installation. The first is that you're planning to build it upon a retained section of land. Your retaining wall would have been built to hold back the weight of the soil in that location and not necessarily the weight of a concrete slab, shed and everything you store in there. I think it would be wise to enlist the services of an engineer to assess the wall and ensure it's capable of holding the additional weight. They'd also be able to advise you on a suitable foundation for your shed.

You'll need to consult your shed's installation guide to determine its required base. Some sheds have provision for a timber base, but most require you to pour a concrete slab. It sounds like you might want to use concrete pavers, which are not typically a manufacturer's recommended base. If it's one of our sheds, I'd be happy to check the install guide and let you know your options.

I see you've levelled the area and now have an unretained section of land to the left. Given the sloping block, installing another shorter retaining wall here would be best to prevent soil slippage into the shed and erosion. Here's a helpful guide: How to build a retaining wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is a concrete slab the best option for a small shed?

Thanks MitchellMc yeh we're planning on retaining another couple of areas of the garden including where you've suggested along side the shed.  I will definitely try and get an engineer to assess the garden as it's our back garden and would slip straight onto our house.  I will possibly just look at another area for the shed, thanks for the advise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects