Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for a mentor

akshayakate
Finding My Feet

Looking for a mentor

Hi Workshoppers!

I am new to Ballarat and I am passionate about woodworking. Unfortunately I did not have any practical education in trades while in school. I did make my own bench as a starting project but I am not able to find any woodworking workshops in Ballarat or do you know of someone who can teach/mentor me on the weekends please?

I am a fast learner and I am also able to help/volunteer if anyone needs help building, gardening on the weekend.

Thanks & regards

Akki

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Looking for a mentor

Good for you Akki (@akshayakate). I hope you can find someone locally who you might be able to work with and learn from. Alternatively, feel free to post here on Workshop anytime you need a hand with anything. We have loads of members who are passionate about woodworking and who generously share their experience with others. 

We'd love to see your bench project and hear about what you are planning on tackling next. 

Welcome to the Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your upcoming projects from our amazing community members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@akshayakate Welcome to the Workshop Community! Looks like you might be in luck, there are some terrific Men's sheds (I'm presuming here you're a male) if not they also do a ladies night. There is Ballarat East community mens shed , Sebastopol mens shed  and Wendouree mens shed .

If you are after a mentor this is the place to go, it's not just for old blokes these days and the wealth of knowledge there is amazing.

I spent yesterday building possums boxes for Wires at the West Gosford men's shed and they were fantastic!

I highly recommended you book in for a little tour and check out what's on offer.

Access to their tools alone would make it worth it.

Remember as well members of this site are always here to help also.

I'd like to see any of your projects and can offer assistance as best I can.

Hope that helps!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks Jason!

I’ll check out the Wendouree shed as it is closer to where I stay. Do I just pop in? 

@akshayakate perhaps give them a quick phone call, ask about availability of spots there, ask of they would mind you stopping in to check things out. Generally most have an open door policy, best to call first though.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects