Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mobile workbench with table saw

hazesnow
Making a Splash

Mobile workbench with table saw

Made a mobile work bench and incorporated my table saw!

00905BE2-4211-4E5B-90DF-2FE35EBFAB90.jpeg

A91B260A-B029-4A82-BB4E-AC988FC095B4.jpeg

2A36BE59-45B7-4F42-8E2E-D2DD4EDD07D1.jpeg

 Changed top from MDF to reclaimed Tenpin Bowling Lane! Super strong! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mobile workbench with table saw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @poizyn_ivy82. It's fantastic that you have joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @hazesnow as I trust they will appreciate your kind comments.

I've got the same table saw and noticed that the timber did not run particularly smoothly on the supplied painted top. I can imagine the bowling lane timber would allow workpieces to slide across it extremely easily.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. Our clever and creative members contribute their amazing projects here every day, so there is always something to spark inspiration.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Mobile workbench with table saw

Thanks Mitchell, I’m loving this group. 

topper
Building a Reputation

Re: workbench

Hey @MitchellMc , what's the best timber and bench top for this? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya @topper,

Mitch is currently on leave following the birth of his son. Let me tag @EricL who will be more than happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Jason

I made this out of blue pine, my original bench top was MDF but swapped it out with Bowling Lane as my husband works in a bowling centre here in Perth! 

topper
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Jason. Congratulations @MitchellMc .

@hazesnow I LOVE the top, I reckon that looks amazing. I'll be stuck with MDF unfortunately. 

Follow up question: 6 months on, is there anything you'd do differently?

@topper I’m looking to add a swing up router bench at the end. 🤞that works out! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @topper

Thank you for joining the discussion. I totally agree that @hazesnow's worktop is not only strong but beautiful. Using MDF is not an ideal work surface as it tends to unravel over time. It doesn't work well under pressure or friction as the fibers of the top tend to tear off. I suggest using a 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel. It is a popular species of hardwood for benchtops and DIY panels. It will withstand rough use and can be sanded back down for re-sealing.

If you are building your own workbench don't limit yourself materials-wise. There are many choices for timber panels that can be used as a top for your workbench. The timber panel may be more expensive, but it will provide longer and better service than MDF. Please keep us updated, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you are building.

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Workbench on wheels with drawers and cupboards

Let me tag our experienced member @JDE for their recommendations.

We look forward to seeing your workbench built and ready for use.

Eric

topper
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, I ran to the shop the morning you sent this so I was too late. It's all good though. The first bench top will last however long and I'll replace it and have a new one fit a bit better next time. Hopefully I'll have more of an idea of what I am doing by that time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects