Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New shed storage project

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

New shed storage project

Hi everyone - as my love and interest in DIY continues to grow I found I needed an adequate area to accommodate this. I needed decent storage and a portable workbench that would be suitable for my drop saw but found it hard to find anything that ticked all the boxes. 

So I tried my best at creating my own. This way I could measure it to fit in my garage and keep my car in the garage at night. 

I’ve uploaded some pics but interested to know if there’s anything else I should add or any helpful tips. FYI - my workbench now has lockable castor wheels so it’s portable. 

Thanks!69907954-B4B3-49A0-821A-E1D9D06635FB.jpeg1635757C-AD3C-4F3A-95E6-E3C07D02ADCB.jpeg661E2DE4-C0C0-40F9-B0C4-2FB05E6B3E01.jpeg4116D166-DDDB-43D8-AB85-F944252688DC.jpeg4AD76520-C83D-4DC6-8428-651824B2F3ED.jpegF87356E8-ABBB-4E03-BDD2-373ED29ADF0E.jpegA6C0E4A5-79AC-4C5E-AE1E-B1F1A61A23F9.jpeg409F79CB-6800-438F-8899-38C9B4D6E4D1.jpeg8A69E1E4-38E9-4F76-A8B7-FF7F50AEAB92.jpeg

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Re: New shed storage project

@jj79authank you that is a really great suggestion!! It would be such a useful addition plus keeping a lot of items in arms reach. 
It would really help with my clamps. Nice safe, organised spot for any Spare blades or accessories for any of my tools. Appreciate the links aswell - will go over my portable table and see what I can do! 

thanks again!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you want blade storage.

carbatec-saw-blade-holder-suit-10-and-12-inch-blades

I should get one for the beast but they didn't think to add any storage to it or the portable stand.

Beast and junior

Re: Current reno of my she-shed!

@MitchellM   I can totally understand the downsize issue with sheds/workshop areas.  I did much the same and how just added a she-shed on the back of the ex-small garage, which is still pretty much full of furniture while I sort all of the issues of my house I'm limited to room.  I did have a wish to have it all completed by Christmas coming, but now doubt that will happen as some how I started renovating my bedroom, which wasn't on the plans.   AND now I'm on a go slow.  Just can't get into it... Lost the Mojo again.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@Brad   Hi Brad,

Extremely sorry for my tardy reply... sadly life happens and get things that hold us up..  More so when your a sole carer for an adult daughter with intellectual disabilities and health issues of my own.

I did manage to get a set of castors from Bunnings of course, but haven't completed my 3 workbench, the ones I plan to add the wheels to.- procrastinating as I have a dozen full on jobs on the go and it's a case of which one I can push myself to do right now. LOL

Just wanted to thank you for your reply.  I'm now trying to figure out how to add a fold down end to this latest workbench, that will be strong enough to support my small saw bench, so that it comes up level with my work bench when fold up.  I found these fold out supports at Bunnings, https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-300-x-145mm-white-spring-loaded-folding-bracket_p3970376

just not sure if they will be strong enough long term to do the job.  When the saw bench is not require it will sit under my work bench.  Or that's the plan at this stage.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply @Tara86   - now I am the one apologising for being so extremely tardy with my reply.  Life.. hey aint it fun sometimes.  NOT!

Thanks for your advice re, the wheels for my new workbench.  I purchased the same ones I think, well sounds like I have.

Just haven't gotten around to cutting the legs and putting the wheels on, keep procrastinating as I have so many other jobs underway.  

Hope things are going better with you and your getting some results 

Cheers

samg
Just Starting Out

This is awesome, I hope to be able to build something like this when I have finished unpacking and sorting.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you just moved into a new house @samg? Sounds like it's a very exciting time for you. We are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Welcome to Workshop.

You'll find our amazing community is full of helpful people sharing clever and creative ideas, advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Welcome to the community, and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @jj9au

Sorry  I have only just read your reply.  And suggestions.  Much appreciated.  I thought about making a draw under my work bench for my drop saw, just couldn't figure how to put it a draw under my bench as I have a frame around the top of my bench so the draw would have to go below the box frame.  I have put my 3rd workbench on that I wan't to put a fold out end for my small saw bench, on hold for a while as I just started work on some live edge work tops for my kitchen and bathroom.  Which is a bit scary. 

Thanks again 

old gal

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

An inspiring project! I think a simplified version of your hide-away bench design could be made as a table for people who like doing puzzles (eg jigsaw puzzles).  They could leave the puzzle partly done and fold it away from interference by others, while using the top surface for other things. Just an idea for those who are, or know,  a puzzler.

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@TedBear  I have had a lot of people tell me they have used the idea for kids tables, study/work areas when they have limited space or sharing the area. I agree this would be great for jigsaw puzzles. I remember growing up taking over the dining table to do puzzles and come dinner time be watching it like a hawk as it was slowly manoeuvred out the way ha ha. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects