Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ozito Grinder 18v Brushless 125mm PXBAGS-125

dejayajay
Getting Established

Ozito Grinder 18v Brushless 125mm PXBAGS-125

I've been gradually switching over to the Ozito 18v range, previously using a lot of Ryobi 18v. All the tools so far have been perfect, well above expectations. But I've been having issues with the 18v brushless 125mm grinder. Early on, after doing a small amount of masonry cutting, the switch stopped working. I got it going again, by puffing in a bit of graphite powder. But the grinder has continued to have intermittent switch problems, and today it won't go at all. Is it the switch, or is it an electronics issue?

I rang Ozito today, and they say that this is not a common problem with this tool.  Has any one else had similar issues? 

It would be a shame if this is a common problem, as the design and function of this grinder are otherwise exceptional.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ozito Grinder 18v Brushless 125mm PXBAGS-125

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dejayajay. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I don't personally use any Ozito equipment but if it was a common issue it would be addressed by them very quickly. As with all our tools you are backed by a considerable warranty for just this scenario. Perhaps the best course of action would be to return the unit under warranty and see if the new unit performs as expected. That way you wouldn't need to worry about by puffing graphite powder into the switch mechanism.

I trust the helpful team in-store will be more than happy to swap the unit over within the warranty period with your proof of purchase.

Please let me know how you go with your return and new unit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply, MItchell. I did go to my local Bunnings yesterday, and got a refund. I wanted to get a like for like replacement, but it seems that Ozito have recalled all stocks of this grinder. Hmmm... Perhaps this switch issue is the reason.

Nevertheless, I really, really, REALLY hope that Ozito bring this grinder back ASAP, as it is THE BEST. (If you have contacts at Ozito, please pass this wish on to them). Thanx. Dominic (Gold Coast).

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Dejayajay

Good to see you got a replacement. I think you will find the problem was the dust from the masonary. I have had the same problem with a makita and a ryobi angle grinder killing both after filling with dust from cutting tiles. So not an Ozito problem as such.

JDE

dejayajay
Getting Established

Hi JDE. I hear what you are saying, but I have had two Bosch corded 125’s that have never suffered from dust-in-the-switch problems, and both have worked long and hard. One is still my:main go to grinder for serious work. So ... if Ozito are watching this space, see how Bosch have addressed the problem. Cheers // Dominic (Gold Coast).

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I believe it was very early this year when Bunnings had on clearance, cordless 115 mm Ozito angle grinders.

Only one left so I bought it. Went home and googled for reviews.

Jaw-dropping to read not one single kind comment for this tool. The biggest issue seems to be that when the electronics "feel" that it's being overloaded - it automatically stops. Pressing the switch does nothing - until it has cooled and "recovered".

Is the above problem related to this?

I returned the box - unopened.

dejayajay
Getting Established

Hi Noyade. I don't think the 115mm is a brushless; you need to go the the 125 for a brushless machine. Or so I believe. The 125 does have an overload cut-out, but I didn't find it to be a problem. In fact I thought it the right balance between useable power, and protecting the grinder from damaging use. As mentioned, my issue was with the vulnerability of the switch to grinding dust. I truly hope that Ozito bring this tool back.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects