Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sawmaster

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Sawmaster

Australian designed (with some modifications), Australian built. Circa 1955. Two HP motor, 12" blade and twin belt.

Keep your fingers away....

20191210_115931.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Sawmaster

What a lovely bit of old gear!

They new how to make them in those days..built like brick s...house and built to last a 100 years!! 😁

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Noyade fantastic bit of kit, is it yours? Could you share anymore details like where it came from or how it is still in operation, was it restored/ maintained, how does it compare to current saws on the market. Very interesting indeed!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Mitchell.

Yes, it belonged to my father who was a builder and he was still using it in his 70's but by then he was more reliant on his German ELU saws.

I have the original pamphlet (somewhere) describing all its virtues and capabilities but essentially it was a framing saw that rested on the floor of the house being constructed. This explains why there was even a table saw kit that attached to it once the blade/motor was swung 180 degrees. But dad built a frame for it so that it was at a more workable height. I suppose it is similar in a way to a radial arm saw.

I made it mobile and replaced the bench wood.

But it is very heavy and I believe modern day sliding compound mitre saws would outperform it.

Nevertheless it is extremely nostalgic to occasionally fire it up!  😁

Cheers.

Graeme.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Noyade Awesome, some of my grandfather's tools are my most prized possessions. No doubt they would be out preformed by modern day equivalents, but you certainly can't put a price on the nostalgia. 

Great to hear about its history, I hope to see on Workshop any projects you build with it. Thanks!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Timberme
Growing in Experience

Well say what you will about the old RAS yes they were good at removing arms and legs BUT they did a job that cannot be matched now.  They were heavy and to a degree dangerous BUT they were reliable and built STRONG for generations. Houses are not built like 1950s anymore so the lightweight chukemin the bin things are a better class of throwaway for 2020s thinking.. We have a Mitchell Multimaster 240VAC 12' here and it is solid. I worry I will ever get a table strong enough.for the weight / rigidity.  = not designed to be nicked by the builders down the road !  .Unless they have a crane ! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Timberme. Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share with the Bunnings Workshop community so we are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Timberme
Growing in Experience

Not really your home handiman type - more like an aero maintenance tech with not much to do with his spare time, with too many trucks and bikes and cars to work on in hot WX !

Currently setting up the sheds for a decent set of workshops.and getting to know my new mate = a Bluey with a Kelpie coat. So far he enjoys a good sleep where he can sense I am nearby, that is when he is not hooking into the chooks.!

One thing that gives me the impression that general professionalism has fallen away in some "servise sectors" since my childhood in the early "50's has to do with apparent modern construction norms such as keeping acquisition costs down and make up differences through maintenance costings contracts earned through salesmanship. One new commercial site I was employed in required almost 359 support clips added to the wiring loom (on one floor only ) simply to meet ABS !!!! = paid for by the building owner.!!!!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks @Timberme. Sounds like your new mate would be a great candidate for adding to this popular thread - Show off your pet

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Timberme
Growing in Experience

M8 it is like this, when the knees hurt it is time to wish for fewer projects - just dealing with the weeds after rain is enough to make the washing up look attractive !!!!   - stumbled upon a laod of USA stuff on internret = pretty good stuff too on all sorts of techniques and gear, a lot aimed at flogging product but still good info even if they sometimes outright contradict. The great thing about some is that you can look up product type OR project type OR presenters and etcc....

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects