Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Securing a timber shed frame to a brick / paver floor

jbs1
Growing in Experience

Securing a timber shed frame to a brick / paver floor

Hi, I'm looking to put a basic timber-framed shed / workshop at the back of my place, and the location means that getting a concreter in to pump concrete for a slab will be nearly prohibitively-expensive. I have a stack of spare pavers and bricks I'd be willing to use as a floor, but wasn't sure of the best way to lay them and what mortar to use so that I could comfortably secure the timber frame. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your time, Jim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Securing a timber shed frame to a brick / paver floor

Is this a pre-fabricated timber-framed shed/workshop Jim (@jbs1)? If so, you might like to refer to their installation guidelines. Generally, structures like sheds need to be fixed into foundations/slabs to stop them from blowing away in high winds.

If you were looking at laying bricks or pavers, you'd find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay paving for a path. When you use mortar to bed pavers, that's just to hold them in position, so they don't subside. I'd suggest the pavers or bricks could be used as a floor within the shed, but you'll need to look at a more permanent solution to secure the shed to the ground. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jbs1
Growing in Experience

Thanks, Mitchell. Not a pre-fab, so no instructions. Thanks for the steer re: brick with mortar not being suitable to attach frame to—would it be better then to a) use a series of post anchor stirrups concreted individually for the frame to attach to or b) lay a perimeter of concrete to attach the frame to, and (in both cases) fill in the centre with bricks to make the floor? Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My preference would be to have some anchor stirrups in nice solid 400 x 400 x 600mm footers and at least one in each corner. If you were going to do three footers on each side, you could reduce their size. However, I see no reason why the strip foundation around the perimeter wouldn't work as long as it was of a reasonable thickness (at least 150mm).

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jbs1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, very much appreciated! Cheers, Jim

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects