Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Setting up a workshop for mostly timber work

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Setting up a workshop for mostly timber work

My darling pop not long passed away - he gave me the incentive and encouragement to get in and have a go -working with timber, which I love, but I'm still very new to it. In the process of trying to set up my newest workshop. My biggest issue is how do I stop the saw dust from going everywhere. Mostly at this stage from my drop saw. It has a bag which I empty regularly, but the saw dust still manages to go everywhere, and I like to keep things reasonably neat and tidy so I can find things. And just don't want to spend time cleaning up after every job.
I have researched dust extraction systems, BUT they are costly and a bit over kill for this gal. My shed is a newly built colorbond & I haven't lined all the walls yet, so I could run some PVC behind them when I get that far.
I have just built my second work bench this one out of an old solid door and plan on making another (which I think Ill put on wheels), so I can keep the bulk of my electrical tools, drop saw, saw bench, router bench, drill press and other tools set up on one, and have thought maybe connection for each item into the PVC, not sure exactly how but thought someone out there may have some suggestions.
I may even sew dust covers for each of them as well, it's gets very dry and dusty where I live.

Door BenchDoor BenchTrying to square it up for legsTrying to square it up for legsThank you for any advice you can give me.
Cheers
Jenn

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Setting up a workshop for mostly timber work

Hi Jenn (@Old-gal24)

Have you see the set up that Workshop member @Wayne has? He has previously shared posts about it such as https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garage-and-Shed/Dust-Extraction-Ducting/m-p/5310 and https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garage-and-Shed/Down-Draft-Sanding-Table/m-p/5406

Other Workshop members like @ProjectPete@r23on and @Brad might also have suggestions for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Seaton
Having an Impact

Hi @Old-gal24 

Ive just been looking into this myself as I'm currently installing a fume extraction for my laser cutter and also want to incorporate in some dust collection.  I already had my extraction fan, however in your case a shop VAC and a home made cyclone dust extractor made out of a rubbish bin and some PVC piping will do the job.   Do a youtube search of DIY clyclone dust extractor should give you plenty of ideas.

here are a few I've been looking at 

https://youtu.be/AFROqIFn4zo

https://youtu.be/OBWjA7_ytic

https://youtu.be/4-hNfX7OKwU

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JustJim - do you have anything you could add to this discussion?

Hope all is well,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JustJim
Having an Impact

Ahh, drop saws. Messy beggars, aren't they? And the dust bags some of them come with are like Rainier Wolfecastle's goggles!

TheGogglesDoNothing.jpg

Even if you remove the bag and attach a vacuum cleaner with or without a cyclone, the general promiscuity with which a drop saw sprays around the sawdust means that not much will reach the effective zone of the vacuum input.

The best way is to build some sort of collector box behind the saw and apply vacuum to that so that all of the sawdust is collected and whisked off to the dust collection system, whatever that may be.

This video shows the relative efficiency of different methods and if you want to search YouTube for more, try keywords "mitre saw" and "hood" or "shroud" with "dust" and you should get plenty of ideas.

An alternative is what I do and have the mitre saw on a dedicated stand, preferably with wheels but I haven't got there yet, and take it outside to make cuts. This is, of course, weather dependant.

Good luck, and remember to wear a dust mask until you get it sorted. Sawdust is bad for lungs!

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim

Thank you @JustJim 

Funny the link you sent me on youtube I have only just watch a few days ago... so had to smile.  It was a good clip with the percentages of each outcome.  Impressed.  Have been thinking of the shrowd or isolated area, and still have a dust extraction.

Will also keep in mind the mobile stand-bench.  I am in the process of making another bench for some of my other electrical tools so I don't have to keep moving them on to the bench when required, too hard on the back having to keep that up.

Thanks again.

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Old-gal24  dust leftover is a lot like wet sand from the beach. No matter how careful you were at keeping it contained - you are guaranteed to find it spread out to new locations lol.

I built my workbench solely around the idea of converting it into a mitre saw table with dust guard. It’s literally me lifting up the bench top. It’s a good size and it’s definitely made a difference. The dust is still there but keeps the large pieces on the bench which is easy for me to clean up. 

Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Great idea reusing the door!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects