Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The great power tools debate - What is the best brand?

JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

The great power tools debate - What is the best brand?

Hi All, I wanted to know what everyones opinions are on what  you think the best brands of power tools are for professionals, the at home DIYer and the one time users.

My personal preferences are as follows: 

Professional (top of the range):

1. DeWalt

2. Makita 

3. AEG

4. Bosche Blue

DIYer:

1. Ryobi

2. Bosche Green

3. Ozito Power Xchange (red)

One time user:

1. Ozito

2. XU1

Re: The Great Power Tools Debate - What is the best brand?

Don't know if you still have your Festool, but if you have access to a home sewer, the bags can be home-made!  Or take one of the bags with you to a fabric store and buy similar material.  Then get them made up.  Gotta be cheaper than $100!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: The great power tools debate - What is the best brand?

Thank you for your power tool fav's.  I'm a new DIY-er, so it's a great help that you included this group in your picks! 👏

All I've got to do now is decide ... 😖

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro 

What are some of the D.I.Y. projects are you planning to tackle? If you give us a short list of dream your projects, I'm sure our members will be able to give you sound advice on the kind of tools you should be investing in. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thank you Eric!  I've already found 2 plant stands and raised garden beds that will be perfect.  I will will also hunt for a  table.  My local Bunnings (Alexandria) have some pallets.  All I need to do now is decide on which brand of circular saw.  Then find an elephant to cart the pallets home (I had no idea the tare weight is about 40kg!)! 🤣 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

I've already got a jig saw and 2 hand saws.  Have a great hammer. An inherited sledge-hammer.  Have a green Bosch drill (one of the older models).  Just got a Swanson speed square.  And have ordered a  Stabila spirit level.  And I'm working on lubing up my aging joints and muscles! 🙄🤣  I'm getting there Eric! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro

Please note that when getting pallets for your project make sure to get the ones that are marked "HT" (heat treated). These pallets are safe to use for projects. Any pallet marked with "MB" is treated with methyl bromide and is not safe. Coloured pallets are also not safe to use as these are often used for chemical transport.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your projects.

We look forward to seeing your first creation.

Eric

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Ahhh ... thank you mind-reader Eric!  I was just thinking about how to tell the ones without arsenic in them!  I take that would be the HT ones?

And I have some strikingly attractive goggles as well as gloves & covid n95 masks.  So now for the elephant .. maybe a nighttime trip to the zoo ... 😂😂

Cheers

Tyro

udi
Just Starting Out

I've been a heavy tool user, both professionally and personally for over half a century. When I was young, a brand told you who the designers and manufacturers were, what the company culture and ethos were (such as commitment to quality), the country where the goods were manufactured (which meant something). Now, a brand is just a name and you can garner very little information from it. While the investment companies who own the brands, and pay someone to make their products, will aim to position the brand in a particular market segment, that is no guarantee. For some time, I've used my knowledge and experience, and that of others, to select individual tools from a variety of companies and brands. The problem with cordless tools is that a big part of the investment is in the battery system and batteries are not compatible between brands/series. Having said that, Milwaulkee and Makita seem to be the preferred brands among tradies in Australia. Dewalt, festo, fein, Hikoki, Bosch (blue) and AEG are also aimed at that market. All have some very good tools as well as some mediocre, or worse, offerings. If you are looking at something less expensive and place less demands on your tools Ryobi has a large range of different tools at lower prices and some Ozito and workzone (Aldi brand) tools are surprisingly durable for their low price. You'll never cover all the bases but check to see if the series has the tools you are likely to need, consider your budget and look into the guarantees offered.Then do the best with what you've .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @udi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with power tools. I totally agree that you'll never be able to cover all the bases, but if you do your due diligence and match the tools to the projects you plan on building today and in the future, then you'll be able to maximize your budget and get the tools that will serve you well.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects