Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber for an aquarium rack?

cyber6
Just Starting Out

Timber for an aquarium rack?

570A7E18-F4CE-40B5-9924-A1C1E6B283D0.jpeg

Hi, 

I am thinking of building a fish tank rack 180cm(w) x 60cm(d) x 180cm(h).

this rack will have minimum 3 shelves and each shelve should be able to handle up to 500kg to 600kg of weight.

what type of wood is best for this job ?

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber for an aquarium rack?

Hello @cyber6

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about what timber to use for your aquarium rack.

I suggest using steel racking like Rack-It 1000kg 1938 x 1830 x 645mm Black 3 Shelf Starter Kit for ease of construction. It is a versatile modular system that makes it easy to expand and customize. It is rated to hold up to 1000kg per shelf when evenly distributed. You can place plywood above the steel mesh if you need a flat surface to use. The smaller model is the Pinnacle 1830 x 1500 x 540mm 4 Tier Adjustable Heavy Duty Shelving Unit. It can hold 625kgs per shelf when distributed evenly.

Using timber is possible, but I suggest engaging the services of a builder due to your shelf weight requirements. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your aquarium rack.

Let me tag our experienced members @JDE and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Timber for an aquarium rack?

Most people I know use Rack-it when they are setting up multi level aquariums. 1 litre of water equals 1 KG and rocks are heavier.

Glass doesn't need as much support as plastic but it is still a good idea to have the base fully supported, I would use form ply and epoxy the edges to keep water out. If you have some rocking in the empty tank on the stand you will need to use some form of mat to help level it out, an aquarium shop will always say you need a mat just like asking a barber if you need a haircut, it is a good idea if there is any doubt. Another thought is your floor up to taking all that weight? I know my timber floor will fail with that load on it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects