Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Seaton
Having an Impact

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

IMG_1266.JPG

G’day one and all,

Ive just come across this site - how awesome is it!  

Anyway i’ll kick off my fist post with my 12x6 timber framed double garage and workshop I’ve been building over the last three weeks with my friend who’s a retired builder.  It’s soooo close to completion I can almost taste it haha

its now at lockup stage and I’ve been scouting around for workshop ideas (and how I found this site)

I’ll post some photos of the progress so far.  However I’m looking for inspiration for my workshop layout now everything’s at lockup.

Power was just connected last week so have been busy this wet and windy weekend in WA in getting all power points laid out ready for wiring. 

Bunnings timber arrives and studs are cutBunnings timber arrives and studs are cut75768216-63B7-4739-BB46-D2CBE94CF3C8.jpeg

Seaton
Having an Impact

Workshop build nearing completion

G'day one and all,

I've only just come across this site, how awesome is it!  

I've been looking for inspiration as I'm now at lockup stage on a 12x6m timber framed double garage and workshop I've been building with a friend who's a retired builder over the last three weeks during some long service leavend and all built with Bunnings timber products! (sponsorship welcome hehe)

I'm just about ready to start constructing some work benches once I complete the electical.

Anyway here are some build photos 

Bunnings timber arrives and studs are cutBunnings timber arrives and studs are cut
Constructing the FramesConstructing the Frames

IMG_1106.JPGConstructing the TrussesConstructing the TrussesTrusses upTrusses upIMG_1165.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1199.JPGIMG_1203.JPGEnjoying the viewEnjoying the view

Lockup!!!Lockup!!!IMG_1297.JPG

These were taken after the first coat and a second coat had been applied so looks even better.IMG_1326.JPGIMG_1329.JPGTesting some lighting options with LED Strip ReelTesting some lighting options with LED Strip Reel

Re: Workshop Build nearing completion

Always good to see a Garage come to life

@Seaton
Thanks for the photos, Nice workshop
but you might want to have the structural timber floor loading & bearings Structurally Checked and certified by an Engineer

OT, It would be remiss of me not to point that out
hth

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Workshop build nearing completion

Hey @Seaton,

What an exciting time for you! The workshop is coming along really well. Many thanks for sharing such terrific progress shots. 

So you're looking for inspiration for your workbenches? What are you mainly going to be using the workshop for? Are you looking to build storage too?

I would start by checking out these very popular previous discussions:

New shed storage project by @Tara86

Garage storage project by @boris

New workbenches by @Rodney

Workshop shed build by @Kiwifr33

Cordless drill storage charging station by @Wayne

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us, and appreciate your enthusiasm for the site! There will be loads of community members who are like me and looking forward to seeing how this project progresses, and seeing what you get up to next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @BIM_Engineer due to the size of the building I had to go through local planning and building approvals with the local shire so as part of the building approval process I had all structurals done by relevant qualified structural engineer Including collar tied truss design specked up as we were constructing these so good to go on that front 👍. It’s definately important to consider these things when embarking on something as important as the workshop 😁

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Thanks for the reply, BTW, I didn't query the roof trusses
Care to share the certified framing details supporting the mezzanine Floor?
Generally where Floor Beams aren't located directly over the studs
Double Top plates are recommended?

I suggest you beef them up at $4/m for the extra timber, better safe than sorry later

OT I see a thousand photos a week ( excluding websites), about 40% are non compliant  of those 10% are structural and require addition effort

hth

Thanks @BIM_Engineer great to know!

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

You might also want to stiffen those single studs either side supporting

the opening lintel/ beam. Generally for concentrated loads I use double studs

Apart from that happy mezzanine loading :cool:

You can never have enough storage

hth

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Looks awesome. I'm jealous @Seaton 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects