Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best wood for a sauna interior?

wayneTerure
Finding My Feet

What is the best wood for a sauna interior?

Hey I'm looking to turn my small tool shed into a sauna any ideas what wood for interior I would need

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: best wood for sauna interior

Sounds like a fantastic project @wayneTerure.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to offer suggestions and help you get started on this project when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks so much for your patience in the meantime. Let me also tag @ProjectPete to see if he'd like to jump in with any thoughts.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We look forward to following along with your project and offering ideas and support along the way. Please feel free to reach out to share an update on your progress or whenever you need a hand.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What is the best wood for a sauna interior?

Hello @wayneTerure 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Western Red Cedar has been used in Saunas and Steam Baths for hundreds of years, because of its ability to withstand temperature changes and moisture. Cedar has wonderful aromatic features, as well as being durable, non-toxic and an excellent thermal insulator. However! there are rules to building a sauna and you may have to consult your local council on the rules and regulations involved in building one in your area. A permit may or may not be involved. There may be rules to size and shape and the materials you are allowed to use in it. I suggest making a plan first before proceeding any further and once you have the materials list and building plan you can then consult the council and gather as much information as you can before submitting it for approval. Who knows maybe you don't need any approval at all! But its always best to ask. Lower grade timber such as pine will not pass muster and you will just be wasting your money. I know some of our readers are saying I'm all doom and gloom on this project but I want you as a DIY builder to be safe. Lets do it right and use the correct materials, lets do it safe by following the rules. If you have any more questions please post it here and we will try to answer as best as we can.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What an awesome project, @wayneTerure! Sounds like a dream build.

As @redracer01 has mentioned, Western Red Cedar is the only real choice for internal linings timber-wise. You'll also need to investigate suitable vapour barriers for under the Cedar. If your shed is of a Pine timber construction, then you'll need to make sure the moist warm vapour doesn't reach it, or it will start to decay in no time at all.

I'd be interested in seeing some sketches showing what you are planning on building. Please let us know if you have questions, and I can't wait to see you get started.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers team.. appreciate the feed back.il let you know how I get on 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects