Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's the best thing you've ever made?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's the best thing you've ever made?

At Workshop we love to encourage everyone to have a go, and to celebrate a successful project. 

We're keen to hear from you about the best thing you've ever made. 

Don't be shy, even if you're a beginner in the world of D.I.Y. you can be proud of what you've achieved.

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

GlovesCloseUp.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What's the best thing you've ever made?

Papers say I am a first class welder.

Also been a fitter and turner, part time factory electrition, hydraulics fitter, landlord, local government consultant and power tool sales.

Now a company director, education officer, technical officer and families carpenter.

Rhys
Cultivating a Following

the best thing i have ever made would have to be last years, year 10 Design and Technology project, a 1200mm x 600mm welding table with 10mm steel plate for the top, so i have something solid to work on

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Rhys. It sounds like you have some fantastic skills and experience to share with the community. Perhaps you could share some photos of the table? We'd also love to see some of the projects you have made recently. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us, and love that you have so enthusiastically jumped into so many discussions straight away. Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful for you.

All the best,

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Now that we have so many new members, let's revive this discussion. I'm keen to hear what you think is the best thing you've ever made. Don't be too modest! 

Jason

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Perhaps not the best thing, but the most memorable, is my first year of high-school - at the grand old age of 12, the only girl in the metal work class. I made a dustpan. My mother still has it today (35 yrs later) and swears it is the best and straightest dustpan ever made. Which it is - came top of the class - I was unpopular for a bit.
Unfortunately I moved over to tech drawing in the second year, so only skimmed enamelling and stuff - never got to welding!
Made lots of bookshelves, benches and gates and things along the years, though nothing out of the ordinary. I also sew costumes - had a few little beauties turn out better than expected.
The best thing was probably the last painting I got paid for - at any given moment, lol.

Many decades ago ( gives you an idea of how old I am ) 😊 I had a speaker manufacturing business..I built speakers for private clients..

One system I was commissioned to build was a pair of French Provisional cabinets..The client didn't want the speakers to look like speakers, to look just another piece of furniture in his living room..

Unfortunately I lost the album years ago that had the  photos of them in it, so I can't show you the actual cabinets..

This however is almost identical to what I built, except my cabinets had a highly polished finish in Mahogany...

The internal shaping on the door panels was the same except the panels inside the mould shaping were not there on my original build, but replaced with hanging rolls of a green net..This was done to allow the sound to pass through and to make them appear as just cabinets..

The two doors would open to give access to the speaker mounting panels..

Behind each door was a 12" speaker a 6" speaker and a 2" speaker..Together a total of 12 speakers!! They sounded brilliant!!

This was my greatest building achievement!

Screenshot_8.jpg

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Including only "hobby" stuff:

About 50 years ago I built a mechanical television camera/monitor system (along the lines of Baird's so-called "Falkirk Televisor", the system that produced the first demonstration of television in 1926), I used to have a photograph of it but, maddeningly, I seemed to have lost it.

About 15 years ago I built a CNC machine for under $200, that was pretty cool.

5 years ago I built an Ikea "knock off" Norden Gateleg table for a friend which, at least in terms of meeting specific objectives is probably the best:

DSCI0026.JPG

DSCI0021.JPG

Hi folks, I know this is an old post but while searching through these old posts I cam across this post @Jason .

Its great to hear folks talking about the best project they ever made, but it would be even better if they put up photo's of the projects are proud of and happy to talk about.  You know what they say?  A picture says a thousand words.

Cheers

Old Gall

casper1
Growing in Experience

I love the look of this. It seems simple yet I think it would be quite complicated to do. Ironically I can't stand cheescake, but it still looks amazing.

wooshka
Making a Splash

Our 3 kids :smile: (Do they count?) , other than that a triple chocolate cheesecake, takes 3 hours to make and gives you a headache if you eat to much 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects