Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which Plywood for garage box cabinets?

tod
Cultivating a Following

Which Plywood for garage box cabinets?

Hi all,

I want to build some box cabinets and drawer cabinets to run along the length of my garage to one side, assuming plywood is the proper material to use (except maybe for the drawers).  With the price of timber at the moment, I'm wondering what I can "get away with".  I'm looking for advice as to which grade of plywood I need to use.  My garage doesn't seem to get damp, so could I use a lowish grade or is it still advisable to use marine / exterior grade ply?  Also, would 12mm be sufficient thickness or must it be thicker - 15mm to 18mm?  Thanks in advance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which Plywood for garage box cabinets?

Hi @tod,

If there is no moisture in the garage, you can use whichever plywood grade you prefer. I'd suggest that you could "get away with" CD-grade plywood for most of the cabinet carcass. You might like to make the top and cabinet doors from BC-grade ply as it typically has no knots in the finish and is a higher grade.

12mm is on the thinner side, so I recommend you go with 15mm. You'll end up with a more solid cabinet, and it'll be easier to screw into the 15mm thickness.

I'll be keenly awaiting your finished project. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tod
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply and the sound advice; it's much appreciated.  The thicker plywood, 15mm, makes more sense alright and I think I'll go ahead with the non-marine grades you suggested.  I'm planning to make the top out of reclaimed timber that I've been slowly gathering together.  I'll post a pic of the finished project when it's done.  Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, and please reach out again if you get stuck @tod

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects