Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which stud finder would you recommend?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Which stud finder would you recommend?

Hi folks

I am guessing this could be a question that has been asked before, BUT sorry I couldn't find one.  Old~timers maybe.

I would like to purchase a new Stud finder and struggle with a reliable one.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

I haven't had any luck with stanley or Ryobi, just not as reliable as I would like.  Out of desperation I got a retired builder in to help me with some overhead cabinets in my Craft room..  In the end he just started taping v-small nails in the approx. area...  SADLY I ended up with dozens of holes all over the well.  NOT Impressed! and certainly won't be getting him back.

My dilemma is that I wish to put up some solid shelves in my lounge room, bedroom and family room to hold hanging plants.  So I would really prefer to go into the stud not just the gyprock, as there will be some weight on them.

I would also like to hang some Macramé planters from the ceilings, so would rather find the ceiling beams than use  plugs and hope they don't fall down one day.

I have had a few mishaps so a little apprehensive.  

So really need a foolproof way of dealing with this as I've been procrastinating for the past few years.  

HELP. Please..

Oldgal-24

Over a Year ago.  Most are very longOver a Year ago. Most are very long

Re: Which stud finder would you recommend?

@Noyade  @EricL 

Thank you so much for your reply and pictures... YOU have me sold.

I am off to Bunnings in the morning...  I have be procrastinating for far too long over putting up shelves.  Even to the stage I was going to hire someone with a building background to put the shelves up..    As I have 5 rooms in all that I would like to put shelves up in.   

This home isn't nearly as old as yours but my previous one was and much like yours by the sound of it, had many add ons to increase the size of the home..   I got caught putting up a shelf to put loo paper on and came in a few hours later to find the shelf sitting on the loo and TWO great big holes in the gyprock...  :unhappy: I was so disappointed, but also gun shy..   certainly didn't want that to happen again.   Then this home, a room added on I was making into a craft rm for my disabled daughter and self and much the same..   So hired a retired builder to help me install the upper cupboards.  The studs were all over the place..  he kept knocking small nails till he found a stud... guess who was left with patching up and repainting the dozens and dozens of small holes?  Yes me!   

He started off with a stud finder..  Stanley, then a Ryobi.   I also borrowed one of my SIL = son in law and had the same issues.  So now I am terrified of making more unnecessary holes in my walls.   I would also dearly like to hang some plants from the ceiling and that terrifies me even more...   Hence my reason for asking about STUD finders in the first place.

Sorry I've waffled yet again.

Thank you for your input and pictures, @Noyade  this is my go to place for advice. 

More so since my dearest support person *(my uncle) passed away a few years back, as he was my bible, my go to for any kind of maintenance.   I miss him and his never ending wealth of knowledge, he gave me the confidence to do so very much and getting to my age most of my uncle type support folks have passed.. 

Kind regards

This Old-gal  :smile:

Very happy with my Ozito stud finder. I'm in a Queenslander with VJ walls - the Ozito hasn't missed a beat...or a stud.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Old-gal24 

"BUT there was so much negative feed back on them that I thought I would steer clear."

I had a look at the reviews and noticed Alex who says to look at the video - for proof they don't work.

Alex.PNG

So I looked at it. But I'm not sure if Alex is saying the 'nose' of the 'flying wing' is meant to represent the centre of the stud - or it's a signal strength indicator for the approaching stud? Because as the finder continues to move right - I'm sure I see a 'shadow' appear which is meant to show the stud's thickness?

And is there some parallax error in the video?

Is that a single fibro sheet for the demonstration?

What does concern me is the nail/screw(?) so far to the right of the stud - that would upset the magnet method.

stud.PNG

The mighty Northrop Flying Wing.

Scan1158.jpg

@Noyade  @EricL  @RenoRach1 

Very interesting  - BUT confusing to say the least...  Thank you @RenoRach1  @MitchellMc   I have purchase the magnets and going with that method to start with, BUT due to some health and family issues, my shelves have had to be put on hold.  More than likely won't get to them till the new year the way things are going.  :unhappy:

Thank you for all the input, greatly appreciated.

Old~gal

All the best @Old-gal24 with the health and family issues. Life can be tough, can’t it? Look after yourself first and foremost - your shelves can wait! Take care. 
R

@RenoRach1 

Thank you Rachelle, your right when it comes to health and family.  Everything can be put on hold..

I hope you are well?  

Wishing you and your loved ones and everyone else here a Joyous, stress free Christmas and a restful New Year to follow.

Old-gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects