Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

Hi all,

I have a bit of a conundrum and am running out of space in my current workshop DIY area.

I believe I can use the space a bit more efficiently but am needing inspiration.

Would anyone be kind enough to share photos of their personal DIY/fabrication/making space?

This includes power tool storage, hand tool storage, workbenches, wood/metal storage

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Re: Workbench, shed and powertool storage ideas

Hi @zool3

I would love to see photos as your progress through this build as it sounds very interesting

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Hi @pstq

That's such as great idea with the little shelves. I will definitely have to think how to implement that in my workshop

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

The metal pegboards you get from bunnings are pretty good Im suprised at the weight those things seem to hold ok even circular saw etc. Can see some of my shed here if it helps ideas -  keep us all updated on your progress  :smile: "pinnacle" brand pegboard"pinnacle" brand pegboard

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I love that setup, @Prawns! What type of hooks are you using for the tools? I was going to go pegboard for my tool wall but wasn't sure if pre-fabricated hooks would work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @J_Smart 

Thank you for posting the measurements of your mobile toolboxes and the garage. The space you have is actually quite adequate. I have sketched a proposed layout of your garage. I've placed all your plastic boxes at the top freeing up the floor space. The shelf would be just under the garage rail with enough space for your plastic storage boxes. This will free up the space on the sidewall and allow you to push your tool trolleys right up against it. If you need more space you can build another shelf on the opposite side.

Using angle brackets you can place a work panel like the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel over your tool trolleys giving you maximum benchtop space. I suggest building your mobile workbench as big as possible using the SpecRite 2400 x 900 x 33mm Finger Joined Teak Panel. My only other suggestion is to mount the bikes on the wall rather than standing up. They will occupy less space and will not get in the way.  Please have a look at the drawing and tell me what you think. If you wish to see it in another configuration please don't hesitate to post your idea.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jsmart storage1.jpgjsmart storage2.jpgjsmart storage3.jpg

zool3
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, that's a really cool drawing. What software did you use? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zool3

I use SketchUp for my illustrations here on the site. It is a versatile tool and allows you to make quick examples of room layouts and furniture drawings. If you would like me to draw up your garage, just post a paper drawing of where you want your tables and workbenches. Please make sure to include measurements as SketchUp allows you to layout your items with precision.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@MitchellMc  They are "everhang" brand hooks from bunnings.  Dont touch the really cheap and nasty "Zenith" brand ones that are bent in a unusual way and lack the bracing on the back -  those ones are completely hopeless and I threw those out after they didnt work on either the metal board or my masonite board and would just fall off randomly even without anything on them

pstq
Having an Impact

@J_Smart if you're sharing this space with other uses, and you're getting a table saw, make sure you work out something for catching the dust. I've got a mitre saw. It has a bag to catch the dust, but it doesn't work that well, and the whole garage behind it can get covered in sawdust. Apart from the mess, it could be a fire danger if it's not cleaned up. Plus you can't find things under a layer of dust.

I ended up connecting an old ShopVac instead of the bag. That catches most of the sawdust.

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

@Prawns 

Thankyou for sharing that. It looks great and very well organised. Loving all the tools on display. Makes me very jealous

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects