Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workshop build within shed

IanF
Finding My Feet

Workshop build within shed

Hi there

I am considering building a workshop space within a 11m x 9m shed. We use the shed as our garage and I have a corner about 3m x 4m for my workshop. It has a concrete floor and corrugated iron cladding all in excellent condition (ranbuild shed built about 8 years ago). The built in workshop would define the space, allow insulation to be added, give me more wall hanging/ shelving space and down the track even aircon. 

Two walls would be free standing and the other two would just be a matter of cladding the inside of the current shed walls. I am thinking of using Knauf steel framing for the freestanding walls, insulating and lining with plywood or sheets of yellow tongue  flooring to give me some weight bearing properties. I would like to have a ceiling ( the shed has quite a high roof) and even better would be a top hat construction and boards to allow storage above the ceiling. 

Are there any guides available for the steel framing system sold by Bunnings that shows correct construction and design, including door ways, a window and  also ceiling design? If anyone has done this kind of project I’d love to see some details and ideas.

Thanks 

Ian

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: workshop build within shed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @IanF. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about building a workshop space.

It sounds like a great project you're working on, and it will be fantastic to have your own enclosed workspace.

Siniat owns Knauf, and their installation guides will give you a good idea of how the metal framing system goes together: How To Build a metal stud wallHow To Install a doorway or opening within a metal stud wall and How To Install a metal frame ceiling.

If any of our members have used the Knauf system, I'm sure they'll jump right into the discussion. Let me also mention @JoeAzza, @tom_builds, @r23on, @Poppop and @JDE to see if they have any general suggestions on laying out a 3 x 4-meter workspace. You might also like to provide some details of what tools and equipment you'll likely be needing to use in there, so they have a better idea of what to suggest.

Please let me know if you have any questions after watching the videos.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have used it when lining a wall.

I have only seen people use wooden beams when making the ceiling load bearing, instead of top hats.

You can never have too many power points in a workshop. ( Maybe you can...)

Info on load bearing properties of ply etc. are not well documented.

Gap at the bottom of the sheet and the floor is important!

IanF
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the info so far guys. Wall frames looks straight forward, ceiling I am still thinking about. I could just have very high walls and use the shed ceiling - it has a reflective lining under the tin to help with heat dissipation.

Brad - can you expand on the need for gap between the wall sheeting and concrete floor please? How big should the gap be and what is it’s purpose? I guess you cover the gap with skirting boards which to be honest I wasn’t sure I was going to use until I read your gap comment.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The gap is to stop moisture going into your lining from the concrete. Typicly they sit it on an offcut of the lining boards but 6mm is the minimum and you can caulk the gap so you can avoid skirting boards.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects