Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I train my Bougainvillea to grow up trellis?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How do I train my Bougainvillea to grow up trellis?

Bougainvillea_la_jolla.jpegSelecting a suitable location to espalier your Bougainvillea that has at least five hours of sunlight per day is essential for a healthy flowering plant.

Brick walls are great locations as not only do they store heat and release it during the night but you can easily fix your lattice onto them.

Determine the shape in which you’d like the vine to grow. You might even like to mark it out onto your lattice for later reference.

Bougainvillea’s grow quickly with adequate sunlight and soft plant ties are the best way to secure any new growth and train it into shape. Check your ties a few times each year and re-adjust if they’re beginning to cut into the plant.

To encourage growth of the plant, remove any flower buds whilst you are in the training stage. That way the plant will devote all its energy to the vines instead of the flowers. Any new vines that can’t be used in your design can be pruned off in late winter. Refrain from trimming the growing tips of vines used in your design until they have reached your desired length.

Check out the following Workshop posts for more help and inspiration:

Bunnings shares popular projects from the Workshop community on Instagram and Facebook every Workshop Wednesday. This question was submitted by a Bunnings customer via Instagram.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: How do I train my Bougainvillea to grow up trellis?

Great piece @MitchellMc . My Chinese heritage means that I love bougainvillea. Interestingly - many Asians who are into Feng Shui will not plant bougainvillea, or any plant with thorns, inside or close to a door. They believe, from memory, that they may throw up challenges in your life if you have them too close to where you live. Just a thought. 

Other point I wanted to make is that you can now often find dwarf or 'baby' bougainvillea for pots and smaller spaces. A good option for a smaller garden or urban living. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects