Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best clear gloss coating for dining table?

zyoti30506
Just Starting Out

Best clear gloss coating for dining table?

Hi, looking at making long dining table from hard Wood panels available in bunning (eg. Acacia solid Oiled hardwood Project panel).

Just wondering what are best and durable clear high gloss coating would be.?

Looked at Epoxy resin option but seems complex and can go wrong, any alternative way for coat hardwood or any epoxy paint option etc for dining table use intensity.

looking for awesome ideas for help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best clear Gloss coating for Dinning Table

Hello @zyoti30506

The technique to getting a flawless high gloss finish is to sand evenly between coats. I suggest investing in an orbital sander to give you a uniform finish when sanding the surface. I recommend using the highest sandpaper grit number you can get in order to get a very fine finish. If you don't want to see any brushmarks, I propose using an electric paint sprayer. However, if you wish to use a brush, I suggest getting the highest quality brush your budget can afford.  

I suggest having a look at the Cabots 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish. It is a water-based varnish that resists stains, enhances the timber grain, and is food safe. Because it is water-based, clean-up is quite easy. I propose a minimum of two coats, but putting on a third coat will give you an even stronger finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks Eric,

I was also looking at some durable solution, how durable is cabolts clear gloss benchtop timer finish. 

Came across Cabot's 500ml Satin Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish - Bunnings Australia product which states hard wearing and durable. 

which option is durable

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zyoti30506

Although the Cabot's 500ml Satin Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish has an extra ingredient that makes it a little bit better, it is not a gloss finish. Both products will work on your benchtop but only the Cabots Benchtop one will give you the gloss finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects