Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint vinyl chairs

linburnlane
Just Starting Out

Can you paint vinyl chairs

I have an old Parker dining table set, great bones but the chairs are covered in ugly yellow vinyl. Apart from trying to recover in fabric, is it possible to actually paint vinyl successfully? The chairs won't be used daily as it is for a unit that I intend to rent out occasionally.  Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint vinyl chairs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @linburnlane. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Yes, it is indeed possible to paint vinyl successfully. I'll need to check on Monday for you but we should be able to place a special order for Rust-Oleum's fabric and vinyl spray paint. Vinyl is plastic, so any spraypaint for plastics will stick to it. However, the Rust-Oleum product is flexible and specifically designed to withstand the movement associated with vinyl in particular.

I'll update you after the weekend on stock availability.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @linburnlane,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I've made contact with Rustoleum and they have advised that they have unfortunately discontinued their Rust-Oleum's fabric and vinyl spray paints.

Have you considered looking into vinyl stains as I believe that is another method of colouring vinyl?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply.  The delay was probably good because it made me look properly at the chairs and the seat was pretty easy to remove. And I covered it with a new fabric.  Probably much easier than painting, in the long run. Haha! 

linburnlane_0-1601422221713.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects