Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dining table and chairs makeover

NickiM
Having an Impact

Dining table and chairs makeover

I challenged myself to a Dining Table and Chairs makeover.

I bought the second hand dining set, sanded back the table and seats to remove the dark wood colour using an electric sander bought from Bunnings (OMG 9 hours), and applied a few coats of clear varnish. 
I lightly sanded the chair frames and used a paint spray, also bought from Bunnings to spray a light off white tone. 
What a difference a little (or lot of) time and elbow grease can achieve. 
On to my next project. Thanks Bunnings!

AFTER

93F84904-DC9B-4F09-904E-A50D3526C52E.jpeg

 BEFORE

A0F594B3-0218-40CF-9909-9FFB3BFE5A6A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dining Table Makeover

Hello @NickiM

I can totally relate to your 9 hours of sanding. I repainted my dinner table a few months ago and it took about just as long. But look at the results, the natural finish of the timber looks great. Did you use a sprayer to get that high gloss finish for the top of the benchtop or did you just use a brush? Can you please tell us what brand of clear sealer you used for the table? 

Any extra information you can share about your renovation process will be very much appreciated. 

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful table revamp.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NickiM
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL 

I used the Bondall Monocle Clear Gloss Varnish. Using three coats of varnish over three days, lightly sanding with 400 grit sandpaper in between each coat. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NickiM

Thank you very much for that extra information about your table makeover. I'm sure our members who are thinking about revamping their tables will find this information very useful.

Eric 

Muzzy
Growing in Experience

Hi @NickiM  I was wondering what brand and colour for the chairs and table legs please.  Thanks.

NickiM
Having an Impact

Hi @Muzzy 

Thanks for asking. It was a cafe cream colour that I used in a $49 Ortiz spray gun from Bunnings. 

I gave the guy at the paint counter my cafe cream sample kitchen countertop colour and he keyed it into the computer and produced the colour. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Muzzy. It's terrific to have you join us, and fantastic to see you've been inspired by this wonderful project.

I'm pleased to see that @NickiM has responded to your question. If the team member was able to find the cafe cream colour on our computer system, they'd likely be able to mix it into your choice of paint brands. If you don't have any particular preference, I can recommend Dulux Aquanamel, as it's a suitable hard-wearing paint for this type of application. You might like to get a sample pot of the colour to ensure it's correct before committing to a whole can.

If you're planning a table rejuvenation, we'd be keen to hear all about it and see your results. Please start a discussion if you need further assistance or would like to document the process.

Mitchell

Muzzy
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for the replies @NickiM  and @MitchellMc !

I asked at my local and they did recommend the enamel and water based paints however I couldn't find a cream type of colour like this. In the end I purchased some Dulux Duramax spray cans as staff said it would be cheaper and that it's very difficult to find coloured paints for spray gun? 

I've still got heaps of sanding to do so not too late!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you are looking to spray paint @Muzzy, the other option is to have the water-based paint tinted to your required colour and then use a paint sprayer. If you go this route or use spray cans, please remember your PPE, including safety glasses and a face mask. It's also a good idea to paint outdoors in a well-ventilated area.

Mitchell

Muzzy
Growing in Experience

Forgot to share back...

End result before and after! 

20230220_085825.jpg

20230302_104106.jpg

20230302_104023.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects