Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

spacepolitix
Getting Established

How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

Hello,

This is my first ever DIY furniture item. I want a cabinet that can fit a dishwasher and an oven, but there wasn't anything cheap.
I've attached my own design - this is my first time doing this so please let me know if there is anything that sticks out as being very wrong.

My my concern is what type of wood to use, and how to go abouts painting/coating it so that it is white and also won't be damaged by the oven's heat. Please give me advice on this.

I don't have any DIY tools at home so I will have to get it all custom cut somewhere.Acrobat_2021-02-28_05-45-59.pngAcrobat_2021-02-28_05-46-26.png

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I choose the materials for my DIY Oven + Dishwasher cabinet.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @spacepolitix. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It's essential that you pay special attention to your appliance manufacturer's specifications to make sure they fit within your cabinet. These specifications will also guide you in allowing the right amount of clearance needed. 

You might like to take advantage of the Kaboodle 600mm Raw Board Oven Tower Pack and use it in your design. The carcass could be made with CustomPine if you provide adequate ventilation and clearance.

Let me mention @redracer01 as he might have some ideas and has provided some spectacular oven tower renderings to other members in the past. I trust his keen eye will pick up on anything you've missed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @spacepolitix 

I would strongly suggest you use a Kaboodle oven cabinet instead of ply or MDF. The Kaboodle oven cabinet has been tested to use an oven and it comes with heat deflectors. With this cabinet already made you wont have to guess your clearances to make your oven cabinet safe. My only other concern is the weight. The oven cabinet is 17kg and the oven itself can weigh at around 36kg ++ depending on the model. Hence the side panels must support at least 53kg++ at least. In an oven tower configuration the panels are supported by two drawer cabinets at the bottom to provide rigidity to the structure. In your case there is no such structure hence i suggest putting a panel at the back to stiffen the assembly and add support to the two side panels holding the oven. I agree with @MitchellMc using custom pine panels is a viable option and should provide an excellent base for painting. If you have any other questions please post and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Cheers,

Red

With provisions for a microwave.With provisions for a microwave.Dishwasher and oven only.Dishwasher and oven only.Legs not needed!Legs not needed!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you @MitchellMc and @redracer01.

I appreciate the material suggestion and I will incorporate CustomPine into my design.

I am very confused about the suggestion to use the Kaboodle oven cabinet because it does not seem to have any gaps for ventilation on the back? In my own design, I have followed the measurements and the ventilation cut out guide in the manual of my oven, the Technika TGO65D-2. I have screenshot the relevant section of the manual below. My concern is that the Kaboodle oven cabinet will have less ventilation and won't conform to the requirements?

I've made my design open-back because I'll admit I don't quite understand how much ventilation is required, so I wanted to leave a much ventilation as possible - would it be safe to close the back to stiffen the assembly as you suggest?

My last question is on the paint - Do you have a suggestion on which white paint would be appropriate for this and would sustain the 75+ degrees that I hear the oven case can get up to?

I also wanted to thank you for the images of your design. I see that in both images, there is a small shelf at the top - is that necessary to add or is it to conform to any requirements?

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it!

firefox_2021-02-28_18-45-33.png

Hello @spacepolitix 

My apologies for the confusion. The correct image is from the kaboodle website. The back of the cabinet is open and so is the top to provide ventilation. The cover at the back is meant for the dishwasher portion only. Your oven I suspect has a front ventilation outlet as well. Most ovens are fully insulated and require space for ambient ventilation. Your oven should work with the kaboodle oven cabinet as it has been tested to Australian standards hence your oven conforms to those standards as well. The top part of the cabinet is for looks only and can be cut out if you wish. It is there because the default size of the panel is 1800 x 600. As for the paint I suggest Taubman's All-weather gloss paint. It should be strong enough to withstand high temps even from the oven. But when in doubt following the recommended space by the manufacturer should be followed for safe operation of the oven. If you Google kaboodle oven cab assembly you will get a much better view and explanation. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

The CustomPine comes with a white coat laminate on it @spacepolitix, which might save you from painting it white. I've just double-checked on its suitability to be used to construct an oven cabinet, and the supplier has advised that as long as your cabinet adheres to the oven manufacturers' specifications and has heat deflectors installed, it is fine to use.

Mitchell

spacepolitix
Getting Established

Thank you again both @MitchellMc and @redracer01.

I started off very lost before, but now I have a very good idea of how to do this.

Due the dimension of 600mm wide, it seems that I can only work off of the 'CustomPine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm Matt White Melamine'. Sadly, it seems to be out of stock in all WA Bunnings.

Although I was very tempted to use the Kaboodle Oven Cabinet, it looked like it would add a lot to my costs and its measurements seemed very different to what my oven's manual prescribed. I will take your advice to follow the manual when in doubt.

As for heat deflecting, I am thinking of using the 'Metal Mate 20 x 1.6mm 1m Aluminium Flat Bar' cut to size. I am hoping it would do the same job.

@redracer01thanks for your point about the CustomPine already being white. I notice that the edges are not white, would I be correct to assume that I should use 'CustomPine 21mm x 10m White Iron-On Melamine Edging' for that?

I've attached my latest design, which incorporates your amazing suggestions!

Acrobat_2021-03-01_06-41-28.pngAcrobat_2021-03-01_06-41-54.pngAcrobat_2021-03-01_06-42-02.png

I've contacted our team regarding stock availability on the CustomPine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm Matt White Melamine and will get back to you as soon as possible @spacepolitix

You are correct that the CustomPine 21mm x 10m White Iron-On Melamine Edging would be suitable for covering the exposed particle board edges.

Mitchell

Thanks for answering that one @MitchellMc !

Thanks @MitchellMc, I went into my local Bunnings today and apparently there is a nation-wide shortage on the CustomPine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm Matt White Melamine. Apparently it has been out of stock for two months already. They didn't have an idea of when it would be on stock again, but suggested that I allow at least a month. Do you think that there are any alternative materials that are suitable for this? I am keen to wait until stock arrives for the CustomPine, but if there is something else that doesn't sacrifice quality, then it would be nice.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects